Are Martin 16 series any good?

fruityblues

• Members

Yep. The D-16RGT is a Martin 16 Series guitar (rosewood back and sides). And yes, Martin's model identification system can be frustrating. The D-16 doesn't use scalloped braces (which the D-16RGT uses) and doesn't carry the "GT" designation because it's part of Martin's all gloss standard line.

• Members

The D-16 isn't really a 16 Series Martin. It's a higher quality guitar built to Martin's standard line specs (some call it the poor man's D-18) and has an all gloss finish like their standard line. Also costs considerably more than a 16 series.

Yeah, they were completely different with regards to features. The D-16R I tried had:

- gloss finish

- abalone rosette

- unbound rosewood fretboard

- rosewood bridge

- some kind of mosaic center strip

- better visual grade of rosewood back & sides

- gloss black bride pins

Whereas , the D-16RGT had

- gloss top, satin back & sides (and neck too IIRC)

- herringbone rosette

- bound micarta fretboard

- (black) micarta bridge

- no center strip but a white boltaron body trim

- that particular set of rosewood didn't have much visual contrast in the grain (due to the matte finish?) and there was a wavy, almost bearclaw-like effect in the grain.

- white bridge pins

Tonally both sounded very similar but the D-16R was listed at $500 more than the D-16RGT. Having owned a very nice satin-finished Larriv

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Yes it is strange. I have a Martin SP000 16 C. never come accross one the same. The spec I have from Martin says the fretboard is striped ebony not micarta and the bridge looks like it is rosewood.

I guess the SP stands for Spruce as the top and the C for cutaway.

Nice guitar, plays well acoustic or with an amp, comfortable to handle, I like it.

Any interest in selling your sp000-16c?

• Members

The D-16 isn't really a 16 Series Martin. It's a higher quality guitar built to Martin's standard line specs (some call it the poor man's D-18) and has an all gloss finish like their standard line. Also costs considerably more than a 16 series.

A 16 isn't a 16? Interesting. :confused:

Well anyway, here is my DC16-GTE next to my D41 Special. :thu:

dsc0005anp.jpg

• Members

Martin doesn't make bad guitars. But that said, I preferred my old Larrivee D-03R to Martin D-28s and D-35s. And I prefer my 90s Larrivee dread to just about anything I've ever heard. I won't say Martin dreads are overrated. Martin dreads are the industry standard. But Larrivee's dreads are underrated.

Alot of the older Larrivee`s I`ve seen have problems (cracked tops etc).

Archived