good cheapo guitar under $200

thetrooper9

• Members

You may find the biggest selection at the local stores, but I'd think $200 would get you a better deal, in a used guitar, if you bought from a private party. Or, just keep your ears open, watch the campus newspaper classifieds, and check your local Craig's List about every 15 minutes.

College kids are usually broke, ya know....and they're always selling off their high school graduation presents.

But, if you don't find anything, do what Florida Gator just suggested. Get yourself a Yamaha FG700S. Best guitar on the market for $200!!

And Good Luck in school!! The price of education is high, but not nearly as expensive as going through life stupid!

• Members

If you want some money left over for a gig bag, tuner, etc than go for the Yamaha F335 for $150. It's a great guitar for the money, can take beating at college and leave you some money for the aforementioned items you will need.

^ This......and you won't have to worry. If it gets stolen, you're not out $300 or more plus they sound and play pretty good. Just got a used one for my son for $100 and he's thrilled with it! :thu:

• Members

Guildfire has spoken the truth!

The F335 is a fantastic guitar and a TANK. It is all laminate. I have left mine (for 2 years)

in the house at 12% to 94% humidity swings. The neck is straight. The tuners hold through NIGHTS of playing, and nights of great humidity shift. The way I play anyway.

I would never put a solid top through mother natures mood swings. The laminate suffers so slightly for tone. Yamaha does a great job voicing these tanks. Not heavy BTW.

Yamaha's in my experiences do not need further set up out of the box. Frets are even and level. Ready to go. The factory strings are filthy. They play forever though. When they play out find your favorite 12's.

I would chase a laminated topped guitar for "off to college". The first beer stien bouncing off the front of your guitar, on the way to the floor.....OK wild Tennis ball..... you'll be thankn' YJ

• Members

Like the others have said...Yamaha F335 or even an F310 ($100 new $50 used). I use an F310 for open mics and busking in all weather and it's great. Nothing fancy about it and even it's "binding" is painted on but it has a nice playable neck and reasonably good (but cheap) tuners. I especially like it's 24.9" scale length. :thu:

Archived