Which fingers for fingerpicking

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

I can use PIMA to play, but the clawhammer is the one most commonly used (thumb, index and middle).

As I never learnt the guitar formally, I use whatever digit I can to make it as effortless as I can. TBH I find classical guitar regime very exhausting; I always get "that's not right" but heck, it works for me :thu:

check out this vid - you can see how an unregimented right hand fingering can work. The thumb plays the bottom 3 strings most of the time, but at 1:24-1:30 the thumb plays the high strings (perhaps the mind subconciously prefers the thumb tone?) There are a few bars where the index and middle are used to play the bass strings as well. And the pinky can't exactly decide weather to anchor or not :lol:

[YOUTUBE]AtNmsPeULeY[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

When it comes to fingerpicking, I'm stuck with thumb, index and middle fingers. Can't get the ring and pinkie fingers to do a thing.

That's me. I began with two (thumb+index), and couldn't do much, and then years ago somebody showed me a good three finger pattern and that's been it for me ever since. It works for everything I do.

I used to feel slightly inadequate using three rather than four, but if famous guys use two, then what the hell.

• Members
. . . I used to feel slightly inadequate using three rather than four, but if famous guys use two, then what the hell.

Don't feel inadequate. I can't fingerpick worth a darn with any number of fingers. I've tried both thumb+3 and thumb+2 and my picking sounds slow and lame either way. I may try the thumb+1 method on principle. After nearly 40 years of mediocrity or below, I've long since given up on being a decent guitarist. :cry:

Archived