Classical guitar pieces

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

I have a question about classical guitar pieces. How come whenever I look for books or CDs with classical guitar pieces, how come it seems like 99% are Bach? There isn't anything wrong with Bach, he is a genius and his music lends itself rather well to guitar, but with other names in classical music that are just as recongnizeable as Bach's, how come I don't see near as many classical guitar pieces based upon other composer's compositions?

• Members

If you find the good stuff, it's gonna be full of Sor and Carulli, etc. etc.

The royal conservatory of music over here has different grades of books with different pieces, and looking at some of them i don't see an overabundance of bach.

billygoat.

• Members

I have a question about classical guitar pieces. How come whenever I look for books or CDs with classical guitar pieces, how come it seems like 99% are Bach?

Probably because you're looking in the wrong places. Most of the material that classical guitarists study are often by Sor, Tarrega, Giuliani, Aguado, Carcassi, et al.

Bach wasn't a classical guitarist. Some of his works were merely transcribed for CG.

If you're an absolute beginner, you could always check-out Jerry Willard's easy collections of works.

• Members

because youre after "classical pieces".

try latin american composers like mangore, barrios, villa-lobos et al. this is the stuff i prefer over the mechanical sounding european pieces anyway

Also, look for more specific sub-genres -- Renaissance, Baroque, Romantic, etc. There was a great series of 4 or so books a number of years ago for classical guitar, each focusing on one of those specialties. They treated "Classical" in one book, and by their interpretation limited "Classical", as opposed to Baroque, etc., to a few decades in the 18th century.

• Members

I have a question about classical guitar pieces. How come whenever I look for books or CDs with classical guitar pieces, how come it seems like 99% are Bach? There isn't anything wrong with Bach, he is a genius and his music lends itself rather well to guitar, but with other names in classical music that are just as recongnizeable as Bach's, how come I don't see near as many classical guitar pieces based upon other composer's compositions?

Check out Christopher Parkenings Method Book, volume 2. Lots of good repertoire in there, from many different eras.

• Members

Out of composers whose peices weren't originally composed for guitar I see more Bach than others. I just wonder why I don't see as much Beethoven or Mozart or Vivaldi as I do Bach.

Sorry I didn't word my original question very well.

But some good information I didn't know though!

• Members

Try this book edited by Harvey Vinson

Solos For Classic Guitar: (WFS 43) - Book
Classical Guitar Series

SheetMusic.com

86 titles including Prelude by J.S. Bach, Andante by Mozart, Bagatelle by Schumann, Pavana by Tarrega, Prelude by Coste, Nocturne De Salon by Carulli, and Dance Rondo by Giuliani.

Lots of etudes, also. Sor, Carcassi, etc.

• Members

Out of composers whose peices weren't originally composed for guitar I see more Bach than others. I just wonder why I don't see as much Beethoven or Mozart or Vivaldi as I do Bach.

Sorry I didn't word my original question very well.

But some good information I didn't know though!

Maybe a lot of room for transcription work, there.

Bach did a lot of composition that are string friendly, cello, lute, violin suites.

Some composers works may not lend themselves as easily to transcription.

• Members

Maybe a lot of room for transcription work, there.

Bach did a lot of composition that are string friendly, cello, lute, violin suites.

Some composers works may not lend themselves as easily to transcription.

Agreed.......couldn't have said it better myself!

Also, Bach did compose four Lute Suites. Beethoven, Mozart, etc did not write for lute. But they did write a lot for piano which often doesn't transcribe well to the guitar. Exceptions to that statement, of course, are several piano pieces by Albeniz which arguably sound better on guitar than on piano.

Here is virtuoso guitarist William Kanengiser playing his transcription of a famous Mozart piano piece:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPP0_va2krc

• 1 year later...

Archived