A Slightly Different Acoustic Pickup Predicament

Kevin_L

• Members

Hey everyone,

Long-time reader, very infrequent poster. Sorry in advance if this question has been asked before.

I'm in the market for some sort of acoustic pickup that I can swap in/out between 3 guitars. Problem is, one of them is a nylon and has a smaller sound-hole (the guitar is a La Patrie Etude, couldn't find the measurement on their spec sheet)

The main reason I am hesitant in getting some sort of mounted pickup is that I'm not sure which guitar(s) I would put it in, and I don't think the guitars I'm using really merit that kind of excessive spending.

With that said, I'm looking for something relatively cheap. Obviously sound quality is important but the number one thing for me would be functionality.

So the question is, what kind of pickup am I looking at? People have recommended me sound-hole pickups but a lot of them don't fit into my classical. I remember hearing about some internal pickups that are not mounted, but I can't seem to find any.

Any suggestions would be greatly welcome.

Cheers,

Kevin

• Members

I haven't used one of these but it may work for you. At the advertised price it's worth a try, anyway. If you do go for it let us know what you think.

My first acoustic guitar p/u was similar in that it clipped to the soundhole (treble f-hole, in my case) and it seems like it cost about $5 (this was in the late 60s)...had a crystal mic element, which made it VERY trebly and feedback prone.

Hopefully, this one is much better sounding.

• Members

My first acoustic guitar p/u was similar in that it clipped to the soundhole (treble f-hole, in my case) and it seems like it cost about $5 (this was in the late 60s)...had a crystal mic element, which made it VERY trebly and feedback prone.

Hopefully, this one is much better sounding.

My first pup was a D'Armond (sp?) soundhole mag with a volume wheel. Not exactly acoustic sounding.

• Members

Dean Markley DM3000 Artist - it sticks to the face (or bridge) with some chewing-gum looking stuff, but is VERY easy to switch from guitar to guitar.

210440748.jpg
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=210440748&listingid=41919856

And it sounds pretty good, once you find each guitar's "sweet spot"...

I had one of these gizmos made by Shadow years ago. It was like a silly putty that held it to the bridge. The stuff reminded me of one of those putty erasers artists use for erasing graphite. The thing actually worked pretty well but the putty imparted a stain on the bridge.

• Members

I had one of these gizmos made by Shadow years ago. It was like a silly putty that held it to the bridge. The stuff reminded me of one of those putty erasers artists use for erasing graphite. The thing actually worked pretty well but the putty imparted a stain on the bridge.

The Dean Markley "gum" didn't leave any residue that I recall, but eventually, it quit sticking well, so I got some HUGE, THICK rubber bands and put them around my guitars' bodies, behind the bridges...worked great, as long as I didn't step on the cable.

Archived