Need opinions

Sandman31774

• Members

I'm very much in the minority in not being impressed with it. I like all mahogany guitars but I prefer mine with binding. For the money (in fact, for a good bit less), I'd buy a Guild GAD25. With the D15, too much of what you're paying goes for the Martin name, IMHO. Again IMHO, Martins aren't worth considering until you get close to $2,000. The cheapest new Martin I've remotely liked was the D16RGTE, which is comfortably over $1,500. Your Mileage Will Undoubtedly Vary.

• Members

I haven't played very many Martins, but a friend of mine got one for around $800. It was a while ago and I don't remember the model number, but I was really impressed with the guitar. The neck felt like butter and it played very nicely. Sounded great too :thu:.

Personally, I like binding on my guitars, though my Seagull S12 doesn't have binding on the back and I've sort of gotten used to it. It's an aesthetic thing---nothing more. If you have a chance, play one and see if you like what you hear.

• Members

. . . Personally, I like binding on my guitars, though my Seagull S12 doesn't have binding on the back and I've sort of gotten used to it. It's an aesthetic thing---nothing more. . . .

This is a common myth, probably perpetuated by makers of guitars without binding. The binding protects the edges of the guitar from damage, up to and including the top/back splitting. I did say your mileage would probably vary but I stand by my opinion, which is not simply based on aesthetics. Simon & Patrick has some nice, North American made guitars in the same price range. Or shop around for a used Larriv

Archived