Nigel was wrong? D minor not the saddest?!?

Mike_E_McGee

• Members

Stolen from another forum I visit:

D Minor

Melancholy womanliness, the spleen and humours brood.

Sounds happy in comparison to the description of F-, Deep depression, funereal lament, groans of misery and longing for the grave.

If that's not enough, check out D#-!!!

I've been starting to contemplate dabbling in songwriting (a little bit). Yup, old Shamus is thinking about writing a tune for the first time in many many years. It could be an interesting exercise to pick a mood, find a fitting key on the list, and attempt to write to that mood and then to it's opposite both in the same key...IE write a lament and a celebration both in D#-

Dunno what to do with it, but it is an interesting read which I thought I'd share...

AFFECTIVE KEY CHARACTERISTICS

From Christian Schubart

• Members

I wonder if these descriptions are meant to be in the context of an equal-tempered tuning?

I believe they aren't. I think we're talking about just tempered?? I get very confused about this stuff though.

I'm wondering what A was tuned to back then. 430hz? 410?? I believe we've slowly crept up to the modern A=440 standard.

Edit: I think I've got it sussed:

"In 1619 composer Michael Praetorius proposed a particular A-425 organ pipe as a standard. He pointed out that higher pitches led to broken violin strings. That was almost a half-step below today's A-440. Down through the Industrial Revolution, A generally stayed below that 425 Hertz number. The tuning fork Handel used in the premier of Messiah is still around. It gives A-423."

So what we'd now hear as D minor could have been D#Minor back in 1806...

So Nigel's D- = Feelings of the anxiety of the soul

Archived