Martin 00-18v....poor man's 000-28ec?

Goofball Jones

• Members

Again, haven't had the chance to try a 00-18v, but was comparing the "specs" to the 000-28ec and they look quite similar except for the size of course.

Is the 00 a smaller body shape than a 000? Is there a huge difference in tone from just the size change?

Yes, the 00 is smaller, and the -18 series has mahogany back/sides vs rosewood on the -28.

What's your price range? I've seen used 28ec's for under $2000.

• Members

Yes, the 00 is smaller, and the -18 series has mahogany back/sides vs rosewood on the -28.

What's your price range? I've seen used 28ec's for under $2000.

Yes, just saw they have mahogany back/sides instead of rosewood. :rolleyes:

Guess it's a 28ec for me then. I keep dancing around looking for something that's just like it, but a little cheaper. I've played the 28ec many times in the music store and I'm totally infatuated with it. It would be perfect if it didn't have his signature on the fretboard though. That just bugs me. It's a mental thing I guess...but just bugs me. The only guitarists name I tolerate on a guitar was Les Paul's. :thu:

And I will go used if I can find one when I'm ready to buy, but it's always a hit-and-miss type of thing and something you can't rely on. But we'll see. Not buying this until around February. Still gathering information. :D

• Members

I've heard that you can custom order Martins through Martin dealers and get the same specs as the EC without the EC name. I've also heard that pricing is similar to non-custom models -- you get the same discount from list (40% off, I think).

Personally, I like the Martin 12-fretters better than the EC.

If I were to buy a Martin, I'd seriously consider this one:

Custom 000-16SRGT for $1600

• Members

I've heard that you can custom order Martins through Martin dealers and get the same specs as the EC without the EC name. I've also heard that pricing is similar to non-custom models -- you get the same discount from list (40% off, I think).

Personally, I like the Martin 12-fretters better than the EC.

If I were to buy a Martin, I'd seriously consider this one:

The only problem with that is that I would have to upgrade a bit on it. I have the D-16GT now, and had my luthier put in a bone nut and saddle. Plus I wasn't crazy about the "micarta" fingerboard (simulated Ebony). Everything on it was like Corian

• Members

I've got a 00-18VS, custom 12 fret short scale slothead. Spruce top, quilted mahogany B&S, Ambertone burst, Tortis binding. It was designed and commissioned by the members of the UMGF in 2006 and 85 of them have been built. It's one of my favorites, I just love it, and it's got a big loud sound in spite of it's small size. It've very light and comfy to play. Just so sweet:

FrontSide.jpg

BodyFront.jpg

CaseBack.jpg

Archived