Best book for classical beginners?

• Members

Hey everyone, looking for some input on classical technique/song books. Got a nylon for my ex-folkie father-in-law who hasnt played in decades. So, hes not necessarily a beginner at guitar in general, he is in terms of classical which is what he wants to explore. so, any book recommendations?

• Members

Hey everyone, looking for some input on classical technique/song books. Got a nylon for my ex-folkie father-in-law who hasnt played in decades. So, hes not necessarily a beginner at guitar in general, he is in terms of classical which is what he wants to explore. so, any book recommendations?

http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Approach-Classical-Guitar-Composite/dp/0793570786

• Members

I'd been playing steel string for awhile when I picked up a classical a couple years ago. I checked out the Parkening books and they are definitely helpful. Obviously if a person's been playing awhile some of the initial stuff is a little basic, but because classical is somewhat of a different animal it's still good to start from scratch. I also think Pumping Nylon is a great resource.

• Members

Plus another for the Parkening books. I took some classical lessons a few years ago and that's what my teacher used. The first volume does start out very basic (teaching basic technique and learning the notes in the first position in the key of C) but I found the study pieces in the book got "musical" (i.e., fun to play and hear) pretty quickly. I would recommend these books as the basic method, and then if he wants some supplementary exercises/repertoire, the Tennant book (and/or video) is fun.
Chris

Archived