Seagull Artist vs Seagull Maritime vs Taylor 200 series vs other?

schecter player

• Members

Im in the process of searching for my next acoustic and am having trouble deciding between all of these. I played a Seagull Maritime yesterday, and I thought it was fantastic. It was definitely one of the about one of the 25 guitars I played that stood out to me. I also really liked the Taylor 200 series (214e, 214ce). However, with the GC coupon code, I found out that I could order a Seagull Artist (portrait, cameo, studio) for just above $800. I think thats an awesome deal considering they usually cost over $1000. I've been contemplating spending the extra cash and getting a Seagull artist with electronics, but I'm not sure if its worth it considering I hardly play plugged in. I think I just like the electronics for them being readily available. If there is a tonal preference for the one without electronics compared to that with the electronics in terms of playing unplugged, then I would opt for the one without electronics.

I guess my main question is: would you choose a 200 series taylor or a seagull? If the seagull, would you get an artist or maritime? And if you would choose to get a seagull artist, would you choose to spend the extra money for the version with electronics even if you primarily play unplugged?

• Members

If they're installed well (and with Seagulls and Taylors, they will be), electronics won't have a huge affect on the tone of the guitar. Most pickup systems are pretty unobtrusive anyway, and I don't think you need to be worried about any tonal differences one way or the other. Some acoustic-electric guitars have slightly thicker tops to make them more feedback resistant (and slightly less responsive), but with higher-end guitars, I'm not sure that's the case.

If you don't play plugged in that often, you might be better off buying an after market pickup, like a JJB Prestige 330. You can get one for $50 and you can install it yourself, so you don't need to shell out extra money up front for something that you probably won't use that often.

• Members

My local GC always has used Taylors for near half price...you might want to call a few in your area and see what they have. The only place around me with Larrivee is Sam Ash...very few used...and new ones just jumped in price...again.

• Members

Oh, just remembered!!!

Check this one out...probably the best Seagull made...
made in good ole USA

If you are into Seagulls....this is it....a sweet guitar.

Artist Studio for only $598! That my friend is a find!

http://www.trinityguitars.com/steelstr/frame.htm

AFAIK, all Seagulls are made at the Godin factory in Quebec. I wasn't aware that they ever produced any guitars in the US. Then again, I could be WAAL :idk:.

I'd like to take a look at the guitar (out of curiosity), but the page that comes up when I click on the link doesn't seem to have any Seagull merchandise on it. Am I missing it?

• Members

Oh, just remembered!!!

Check this one out...probably the best Seagull made...made in good ole USA...

If you are into Seagulls....this is it....a sweet guitar.

Artist Studio for only $598! That my friend is a find!

Could be wrong, but don't think any Seagulls are made in the States. Aren't all Godin family guitars made in La Belle Province?

• 1 month later...
  • Members

My daughter had a Seagull S-6 and it was warm and recorded really well. Never played the Artists. I have a Taylor 214 no electronics so I can't compare to the 214ce. It is really nice as well. If I did play out I would put on an after market pickup.

They, Seagull and Taylor are both fine guitars and you can't go wrong.

Archived