Tips for playing minor barre chords?

Hahutzy

• Members

A good set up with low action makes it easier, but you will still need good technique (proper wrist angle and clean fretting) to play barre chords well.

One bit of advice: Don't grip too tight. A light touch goes a long way. A tight grip will make fretting barre chords nearly impossible.

• Members

Dude,

Try rolling your barring finger over to the side a little so that the less fleshy, bonier side is barring your chord. Keep trying, too. It only gets easier!
:thu:

This.

I read through all 25 posts figuring that someone must have suggested this to you and Heartstring did. :thu:

Not that there aren't lots of other good suggestions here, but rolling your index finger over to the side will help to eliminate unwanted muting. That, and don't bother barring any strings you don't intend to play.

• Members

I think I used to roll my index finger to the side when attempting a minor barre (in the 'Em' position) but I ended up with joint pain from pressure on the second joint (or is it the first? The one above the knuckle.)

I do rest my middle finger along the index finger but you've got to be ready to move into other barre positions, too.

For me, the hardest barre chord to get down was the "A major" postition barre... keeping the first string clear can still be awkward at times. That said, I seldom find myself using it and often, when I do, use it in a context where the high fifth isn't critical.

• Members

Does anybody use the C, D, and G shape barre chords? I was working my way through Fretboard Logic years ago and I spent forever trying to get those right. I think I finally got good enough to use them, but I've never come across them in anything I've played.

I use C and D a lot in my own personal playing. Took a long time to be able to jump back and forth to them.

Can't say I ever even attempted a G.

• Members

Does anybody use the C, D, and G shape barre chords? I was working my way through Fretboard Logic years ago and I spent forever trying to get those right. I think I finally got good enough to use them, but I've never come across them in anything I've played.

I do all the time, although to be honest I don't have that much use for the G shape because it is a bit of an awkward stretch which means it is hard to be fluid moving between shapes. The way I approach which shape to use is that depending on the key and chords in the song, one of the barre shapes will likely be the best compromise starting position with easy reach to the other chords.

For example, a lot of songs are basically E, A and B, so a C shaped "E" on the 4th fret makes a good starting point. To get the "A" from there you move up 1 fret and across 1 string set into an E shape and then slide up 2 more frets (staying with the E shape) to get the B. Easy and formulaic when you get used to the way the I, IV and V sequences are laid out relative to each root shape. You can do it on autopilot.

As another bonus, if the song has the natural minor in it, then you can get there from your C shape barre just by picking up your pinky and bringing it back over into the Am shape. In fact you will find most of the chords you're likely to need for a given key are hiding in the immediate vicinity, which is the real genius of the way the fretboard is laid out.

• Members

This.

I read through all 25 posts figuring that someone must have suggested this to you and Heartstring did.
:thu:
Not that there aren't lots of other good suggestions here, but rolling your index finger over to the side will help to eliminate unwanted muting. That, and don't bother barring any strings you don't intend to play.

I already am doing this.

• Members

Hey guys, so I'm trying to learn barre chords, and for neutral ones, I think I got it down.

The problem is minor barre chords -- I'm having trouble holding down the G string with my index, on top of already holding down the low E, B, and high E string.

Right now, I use the first joint of my finger to hold down the B string, because I read that it's easier to press down at the joints.

But this way, it's impossible to use the second joint of my finger to hold down the G string, so I don't what else I can use to create a strong contact point.

I've been watching some videos, and some people tend to place their middle finger on top of their index finger when playing minor barre chords. Does it help?

Any suggestions on how to make a stronger contact on the G string?

Thanks.

On an acoustic guitar, learn them & then try to avoid playing them

unless the composition really requires some specialized chord. 9ths,

6ths, sus chords.

Playing plain vanilla major & minor barre chords on an acoustic,

rarely sounds good. Find open positions to do the same thing.

• Members

On an acoustic guitar, learn them & then try to avoid playing them

unless the composition really requires some specialized chord. 9ths,

6ths, sus chords.

Playing plain vanilla major & minor barre chords on an acoustic,

rarely sounds good. Find open positions to do the same thing.

This^

Archived