So..tell me about the Yamaha FG735S..it looks like a killer deal,is it?

KATMAN

• Members

I've been eyeing the Yamaha for awhile.It looks sturdy,durable,and a good one to own. Musicians Friend says that is has a solid spruce top,and mahogany back and sides. Seems to me that it is a killer buy.Anyone have one? If so,tell me more about it.

• Members

I've never really been a fan of Yamaha Acoustics. My dad has one, and it's fine, but not stellar. They look good, and seem to be built well. I have never played one that really sounded that great. I've tried them several times, because there are some folks that do nothing but sing their praises. I'm just not one of those people. LOVE their sound gear...just not their guitars.

• Members

I've been eyeing the Yamaha for awhile.It looks sturdy,durable,and a good one to own. Musicians Friend says that is has a solid spruce top,and mahogany back and sides. Seems to me that it is a killer buy.Anyone have one? If so,tell me more about it.

Yamaha has a solid reputation for quality and sturdiness. Some of their guitars are very highly regarded, others not so much. But I have never found one to be an obvious piece of garbage. I have 3 now and have owned 4 others over the years, but have not played that particular model.

If it sounds the way you think a guitar should sound, and plays comfortably and you like its looks, then the decision should be an easy one. You are the one that is going to play it, not us.

• Members

I like the Yamaha 12 string that I have now and regret getting rid of a Yamaha DW-4SC back in 1996 to buy a Tak. (I should have kept them all, I love the Tak)

Atleast 2 other friends have Yamaha as well , but not the newer model you are looking for.

I think they are solid and dependable and you can't go wrong.

• Members

Ummm musicians friend says the FG 735s has rosewood back and sides...

And I own an FG 720s and I'm quite happy with it. I personally preferred the Nato back and sides to the Rosewood (it's very similar to Mahogany) and it looks great. Satin neck makes it very fast and looks just like I want a guitar to look (natural finish). The rosewood ones look great too (the finish makes the back and sides look beautiful, gloss woo hoo). I noticed that the Yam dreads don't quite have as much booming low end as other dreads (my Art & Lutherie) and to me that makes it a more versatile guitar, sounds great when finger-picked on the low end, not too much boomy sustain. I like mine alot, go out and try one at a dealer somewhere. You might even find a deal on one that's close to MF's price, I did on my 720s. I haven't played a folk sized one, but I can tell you the Dreads a great deal for the money (imo).

• Members

I found the FG series (based on about 10 of the new 7x0 series and a few older ones) very compressed sounding. It is a pleasing sound but I prefer something more dynamics. I suppose the FGs are better as strummers' than pickers' guitars. Which is a shame because they are built to Yamaha's typically high standards and play well. The Lx6 series on the other hand had the dynamics but didn't have that full a tone.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

I got this guitar new about 4 years ago at a guitar center , and I tried lots of guitars that day , and for the money this was the one for me ,about 350 with case , I am just a lowly rhythm guitar player that played in a garage band in the early eighties so I only count a little , but damn this guitar has held up well and still sounds good , especially when i put new strings on her , the only guitar I liked better that day was a 2000$ Taylor , and it was sweet , oh well maybe someday .

• Members

If you like the 735s, the 730s is the same except without burst finish and without gold hardware. 50 bucks cheaper.

The FG730S comes in natural, tobacco burst and cherry burst......all at the same $300 price a MF. I just bought the tobacco burst about 5 weeks ago.

• Members

I have to admit that the Yamahas are very nice guitars in the 700 series, and I can understand why many would choose one. I have nothing against them at all. Yamahas really get tough to beat when you play the L series stuff.

But from playing the entire 700 series at L&M side by side with the S&Ps, I just feel that the Godin product is more to my liking by a significant margin.

I own an S&P Mahogany Cedar as my campfire guitar at the Cottage and a Norman B18 as my daily player at home.

It all amounts to personal taste in the end.

• Members

Mate, it all depends on your taste.

I like my FG730S, because it's got a very even and balaced sound, not too boomy (Martin), not too bright (Taylor).

It was sorta slightly "boxy" when new, but opened up significantly after a few weeks of playing (or my ears adjusted to it - take what you like).

In terms of material and workmanship, it's hard to find something that is on par with it in the price bracket, in terms of sound it's once again your choice....

• Members

i haven't found fg730s to sound boxy, but all the ones i played have been played on the floors of various guitar centers. i owned one for a while, and other than the 1 11/16 nut, which was too narrow for me, it was a very nice guitar. nice finish, good build quality and i loved the sound.

Mate, it all depends on your taste.

I like my FG730S, because it's got a very even and balaced sound, not too boomy (Martin), not too bright (Taylor).

It was sorta slightly "boxy" when new, but opened up significantly after a few weeks of playing (or my ears adjusted to it - take what you like).

In terms of material and workmanship, it's hard to find something that is on par with it in the price bracket, in terms of sound it's once again your choice....

Archived