String recommendations for down tuning?

mparsons

• Members

Hey everyone,

I recently got a Yamaha LS6, and I am going to set it up for my uses. This includes tuning it to D standard, open Dm, and drop C. Most string manufacturers don't go any heavier than 13-56, which is fairly close to what I use on my electric guitars for these tunings. Would this be acceptable, or too loose for this tuning range?

Also, any particular recommendations as far as bridge pins? I plan on getting a bone nut and saddle, but I am not sure what bridge pins to go with. Ebony would look good, but tone is the primary consideration.

Thanks!

• Members

Hey everyone,

I recently got a Yamaha LS6, and I am going to set it up for my uses. This includes tuning it to D standard, open Dm, and drop C. Most string manufacturers don't go any heavier than 13-56, which is fairly close to what I use on my electric guitars for these tunings. Would this be acceptable, or too loose for this tuning range?

Also, any particular recommendations as far as bridge pins? I plan on getting a bone nut and saddle, but I am not sure what bridge pins to go with. Ebony would look good, but tone is the primary consideration.

Thanks!

Don't ask about bridge pins on here all it does is start a fight. That aside I use Buffalo Horn it is black like ebony and sounds better in my opinion.

• Members

Start here and try to maintain the tension of the strings that the manufacturer recommends

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/topic/5339/t/String-Tension.html

You can also get good info from D'Addario's web site on tension. I usually play with lights (12's) at concert, but I down tune a lot to open C, D, G as well as standard down one or two semi tones. On my small bodied guitars mediums usually work fine, sometimes I'll tweak one string a bit (for open C and slide tunings). On my long scale 12 string I use some pretty heavy strings and tune to C or lower (four semi tones down). The important thing is to try to stay close to the design tension.

Also, radical string guage changes may require a little tweaking of the setup but usually one size change is OK.

For bridge pins, go to the Annex, listen to the Pin Test in the Tech section, make up your own mind.

• Members

I have bone pins and a bone saddle on my LL6. It sounds great.

I use alternate tunings. I switch tunings constantly. 12's work fine. Someone posted a link to a Yamaha site that stated the L Series were designed for 12's and that 13's could put too much stress on the soundboard. It could be due to the fact that engelmann spruce is slightly softer than sitka (just my theory). I can't remember who posted it, but it was a few weeks ago.

Currently I am using D'Addario EJ16's. They sound good, but I think I will go back to D'Addario EXP 16's at the next string change. I like them better.

Archived