Opinions of Dean Sweetwood?

myTakamine

• Members

I just started playing (on a Takamine electric :thu: ) a couple of months ago, learning on my own whenever I can steal time. About half the tunes I want to learn turn out to be acoustic, so obviously I need another guitar for a suitable sound.

I came across a good deal on a Dean Sweetwood, which for some reason appeals to me. Anyone have experience -- good, bad, or indifferent -- with one of these? Or other Dean acoustics?

Attached pic is from http://www.guitarshop.net/deansweetwoodjcr.htm

Thanks for any opinions.

Bruce

• Members

My experience with Dean acoustics is that they generally suck. Iffy construction at best and the sound is often rather plasticky. I saw a Dean Sweetwood DM at a local music store going for about $600; if this is the money you're looking to spend, I personally think you can do much better.

Check out Epiphone Masterbilt, some great guitars in that price range. Don't be afraid to buy used, too. Used Breedloves and Larrivees make great guitars. Some of the higher-end Washburns are terrific as well.

Basically, go to Guitar Center (or whatever) and play a bunch of guitars, keeping your eyes open for some of the brands I mentioned and I'm sure others will mention.

Ellen

• Members

DO NOT PAY THAT MUCH FOR A DEAN!

Ok, I have never played one, but I got my Masterbuilt used for $450. Parkwood and even better, Breedlove's are cheaper, and I have to assume are better instruments.I almost bought the Breedlove, then the Epiphone was offered by a guy at work, who got it from some choice pick, due to him having some Artist Representation interest.

I played a really great Alvarez acoustic/electric at a shop yesterday, by far not a top of the line model, but I was really tempted to buy it, it was really, REALLY a nice playing and sounding guitar. And it was $269!

So, if your just starting, save your cash for other accessories, like capo, tuners, and instruction books. You can get a great, quality guitar for HALF the cash that Dean costs.

And I do feel like a hypocrite, since I own a Dean Backwoods 6 string banjo,but that only cost $249 new.

• Members

I didn't even know Dean made guitars in the $8-900 price range. I highly recommend checking out a lot of guitar makers as your options are pretty diverse. Larrivee, Epi Masterbilt, Guild GAD and Parkwood at GC are some that come to mind. Of those, the Larrivee D or L series really need to be checked out closely. The others can come in at a lower price than the Dean too.

On the other hand, only you will know when you find the right one. Don't get too committed to a photograph and marketing description. Ya' gotta play 'em.

• Members

Should've mentioned that the price I'd found was for around $400 -- a "deal", but still plenty enough that I want to be thrilled.

Don't get too committed to a photograph and marketing description. Ya' gotta play 'em.

Thanks Ellen, Danox3, and rjoxyz for reminding me of that.

• Members

What kind of good deal? Let us know your price range and somebody's bound to put forth a suggestion that you may be able to go try out for yourself.

I've never played a Dean because they're usually very pretty to look at but priced ridiculously low, which sets off warning bells with me.

BTW, what model of Takamine do you have? With a good setup and some component upgrades you may not even need a new guitar until you feel you've progressed beyond its capabilities. I have a Takamine of my own that needed work and I was considering on replacing it with another cheap acoustic. In the end I got a good setup done on it so I was able to actually improve upon my skills without wasting money on another starter guitar.

Good luck! :)

• Members

the store that is selling my Alvarez has about 15 Deans, they look good, but I never played one I liked, this store use to carry lots of alvarez and Ibanez, but now they mostly Deans and used. I would not reccomend it!!!

Jim

• Members

My Takamine is a solid-body electric from the 80s, so I'm looking for a first acoustic (not counting my son's First Act Discovery ;) ).

It sounds like the Sweetwood would have to be an exception in Dean's acoustic line to be a good use of $400... any more suggestions for other guitars I should try for no more than that? (And thanks for those I've gotten already!)

-- Bruce

• Members

My Takamine is a solid-body electric from the 80s, so I'm looking for a first acoustic (not counting my son's First Act Discovery
;)
).

It sounds like the Sweetwood would have to be an exception in Dean's acoustic line to be a good use of $400... any more suggestions for other guitars I should try for no more than that? (And thanks for those I've gotten already!)

-- Bruce

Takamine doesn't make bad guitars in that price range.. If you find a Masterbilt for that price buy it.. Other then that, I always loved the low end Washburns. You can always pick up a D10 Washburn for short money and then if you find the need for a higher end guitar later buy one then.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

I have a dean RSE -GN ... It is their current $550 -650 model (I paid $450 10 years ago, and sound has improved with time). Soundwise, I wouldn't trade it for anything -- it is better than the masterbuilt by leaps and bounds -- very loud and full with good to very good intonation and extremely easy to play, and I couldn't replace it for less than $1800, except perhaps for a good tacoma. I would replace the saddle pickup if I had the money, as it is cheap, and will when it breaks again (very thin plastic, but had two spares). The Dean Sweetwood you were looking at is a beast of another color. It was only made for 2 years, and it was built to compete with the $2000 - $2500 martins, in terms of sound and they are often set-up very low from the get go and they are all solid wood, the only dean acoustics that are, except one other. They are worth their money, and if you can still get it for $400 dollars, do so, ah but I'm 3 years too late ;). Dean went back to cheaper lower end guitars since this experiment, and the RSE-GN, if you find a good one (quality varies of cours), or the D-24, if you find a good one, are the only ones I think worthwhile (both their current top of the line).

Archived