Classical guitar owners,what string tension do you prefer?

KATMAN

• Members

I have one nylon strung guitar and have always had normal tension strings on it.I've heard that hard and medium tension strings have a much better tone than normal tension does.I like the fact that normal tension strings are easy on the fingers and I play it often when my fingers get sore. I don't have a true classical guitar,but a Yamaha Apex thin body cutaway.Some day I'll get a true classical,but till then,I'll play my Yammy. What kind of strings and tension do you all like?

• Members

Woah, now I'm feeling like a {censored}. I use normal tension and am considering to start using light tension.

Play what sounds and feels right to you. I say I'm going to change my daughter's strings, but she may hate the hards. When that was my guitar, it sounded better with the hards.

*shrug* If she wants, I'll put another set of normals on there and forget about it.

• Members

Mixed tension is my normal preference: hard basses and normal trebles. But I have used all-normal and all-hard tension sets.

For flamenco, most players use normal or light tension.

Your Yamaha may respond well to carbon trebles. Try Savarez Alliance in normal, hard or mixed tension.

• Members

I use the Savarez hard tension. I started using them because I've been known to use a Dunlop Herco pick and do some blues on my little Yamaha classical. It doesn't sound half bad to my old ears. Don't think I'd go back to normal tension strings after using the hard tension. They just sound better to me.

Archived