Anybody ever play a nine string?

KATMAN

• Members

Just wondering.One of the first 12 strings I bought it was set up for nine strings.The first three were doubled,while the last were like a regular six.I heard this was the way a lot of Europeans or older players prefered them.It did have a unique sound.I only played it like that a couple of times before I fixed the nut to have all 12 strings on it.

• Members

tried this with my first 12-string, too.

got confused by the different feedback of the courses vs. the strings.

I did exchange the G-octave for a standard G for some time, tho.

but I reverted back to "standard" 12 soon'ish. missed the chime of the high G too much.

• Members

tried this with my first 12-string, too.

got confused by the different feedback of the courses vs. the strings.

I did exchange the G-octave for a standard G for some time, tho.

but I reverted back to "standard" 12 soon'ish. missed the chime of the high G too much.

I, too, used to string my 12-string with unison Gs, because I'd keep breaking the octave Gs.

For a while, I also strung my low E two octaves apart, like Leadbelly did (except he tuned down to B or C)...

• Members

Just wondering.One of the first 12 strings I bought it was set up for nine strings.The first three were doubled,while the last were like a regular six.I heard this was the way a lot of Europeans or older players prefered them.It did have a unique sound.I only played it like that a couple of times before I fixed the nut to have all 12 strings on it.

I bought a Takamine 12 string from a guy I worked with a couple years ago. He had it strung as an 8 string (same thing but single on the G). I found it interesting, great for alot of the Christian music I was playing at the time. I eventually went back to the full 12 though.

Recently while changing strings I tried using a Nashville tuning (6 strings low E to G use the high octave, B and high E stay the same) to do some recording. I recorded that guitar along with my Ovation 6 string picking both guitars and the sound was amazing.

Archived