Has anyone used the ART Tube MP Project Series preamp with their guitars?

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

In a recent post I was considering different amps, one of them the new Vox AGA70, which I was interested in because one channel has a tube preamp. Then after I had some caffiene I realized I could get an independant tube preamp and use it with whatever amp. After doing some searching on the web the ART Tube MP Project Series preamp seems to be what I am looking for. My questions about it are:

1. Has/does anyone here use it, and what is your opinion of it?

2. What sounds differences are there with it being in the signal chain versus not being in the chain?

3. Is it worth the price?

• Members

Hey I use it on a weekly basis giggin in small bars/clubs, running an acoustic with a preamp directly into it, then into the PA. It does me very well. Makes my guitar sound very full, much louder, and controls a lot of my feedback issues. It its pretty cheap too :)

• Members

In a recent post I was considering different amps, one of them the new Vox AGA70, which I was interested in because one channel has a tube preamp. Then after I had some caffiene I realized I could get an independant tube preamp and use it with whatever amp. After doing some searching on the web the ART Tube MP Project Series preamp seems to be what I am looking for. My questions about it are:

1. Has/does anyone here use it, and what is your opinion of it?

2. What sounds differences are there with it being in the signal chain versus not being in the chain?

3. Is it worth the price?

I have the ART Tube MP Personal Processor Series pre-amp. They look pretty much the same. Project series has selectable input impedance (personal doesn't) and a hi-cut filter.

3. You can always find a use for it later, if you don't want it in your acoustic guitar chain. I use it as a mic preamp for DAW recording.

2. Compared to it not being in the chain, it lends a brightness to the first 3 strings and can tame a boomy bass. However, it has no adjustable EQ function.

Since you asked, I just now plugged a mag soundhole pickup into it and ran it through the guitar (w/EQ) channel and mic (flat) channel of my Ibanez acoustic amp. In the mic channel, like I said above, it improves the EQ curve and, therefore, overall tone of the guitar. Feedback was no worse for it.

The gain boost can be useful but will also boost noise. I would say the boost is not necessary for a PA or other amp. If you were to rely on it solely as your signal processing into a power amplifier, I would get a parametric EQ, even just the inexpensive Behringer one.

The other features are pretty good (phase reverse, XLR in/out w/phantom power). I got mine on eBay for about $35.

Greg

• Members

I had one with a bad pot. I fixed it myself and it turned out really beneficial. I used it for mics, mostly. A couple of times I used it for a pre with guitars (mainly a Fender DG-20CE that I had for a while). The unit is noisy if you are not careful.

• Members

I've always wanted to pick one up, but I never actually spend the money. They're like . . . what? $30 at MF or something like that? I should just splurge and buy one :D.

I've thought about putting one into my pedal chain too. I wonder if having a tube preamp in there would warm up the signal a little bit?

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I made a 5 part series of videos reviewing the ART Tube MP which can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/user/ToneTaster. The videos contain some fairly well recorded audio tests and advise for using the unit. In one of the videos I compare different brands of tubes used inside the ART Tube MP! Since I went to all the trouble to make the videos I thought I might as well spread the word.

• Members

18 posts of SPAM from ToneTaster. Exact same post.
:rolleyes:

He's now got a week to think about it all -- he made a real mess of the recording forum.

If he's reading this, he should be aware that popping in as someone else under a new screen name will get him a permanent ban. We track IP numbers.

Archived