Folk Blues For Fingerstyle Guitar

Glenn F

• Members

I have several of Stefan's DVDs and I think they are excellent. Not sure if you are aware of this site:
http://guitarvideos.com/video/dvd/000completedvd.htm
There are sample videos from each of the DVDs that you can view. I also have some by Duck Baker, Fred Sokolow, Pat Kirtley, Buster Jones and John Miller. Every one well worth the price.

Is there a particular DVD you were considering?

• Members

Bought it.
Not too impressed at first, as it's not too technically impressive.
Thought about some fancy fingerwork, but it shows not-so-fancy but very effective old-style blues fingerwork. Most of the stuff in't technically spoken difficult, but needs a lot of mojo.
Then again, if you're into Robert Johnson, the three Kings, Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee, then it's for you.

Honestly, first I was a bit underwhelmed ... WTF?? Two-finger-blues? But then I enjoyed it more and more. And Grossman is a good teacher, btw!

• Members

I don't have that DVD so I can't comment specifically on it.

All I can say is that I have thoroughly enjoyed all of the DVDs I own. The teaching is excellent and they're a pretty inexpensive way to learn a new style or several new songs. Even more inexpensive with the instant download. I purchased my last 4 or 5 DVDs using that method.

Stefan does do most of his playing with 2 fingers. Duck Baker & Pat Kirtley both use 3 fingers. Really don't think it matters. I used to play classical guitar (years ago) and since I started using these DVDs I find myself using 2 3 or 4 fingers depending on the song.

• Members

By Stefan Grossman. Thinking about some DVD lessons, and came across this guitarist. Recommended?

Do you already play alternating bass stuff? Independent thumb and all that?

If so, I'd think you'd be able to pick up new tunes pretty easily without the DVD.

If not, I needed a lot of practice just to acquire that independent thumb, and a DVD doesn't really seem to help with that.

I'm a noob, and these videos from the DVD seem pretty easy to me:

http://guitarvideos.com/video/dvd/98990dvdclip.htm

But I had to work at getting to the point of picking a melody line independently of the alternating-bass thumb.

• Members

I actually prefer his books/cds combos. I got some of the DVD's through netflix and I think they are better as supplements. The nice thing about the Grossman DVD's, though is that they usually come with PDF so you can print out the music, too.

The DVD's are nice though because it helps to see and hear his discussion on technique - string snaps, how to get the bass to sound right, etc.

• Members
No, I don't, but I expect I'll be able to get it. Once that is possible, then the potential opens up a lot, with walking bass lines, and such. I am in a bit of a rut, playing-wise, and I need to push myself to learn new things. So, I am going in this direction, as well as learning some DADGAD, and see how far I can take it. I am a bit tired and bored of going 'wheedly-wheedly.'
:lol:

If you've never done any alternating bass then that particular DVD will definitely be a challenge. Not sure if you're trying to learn a new style or learn the songs on that DVD. If you're more interested in learning the alternating bass style then there are easier DVDs to start with.

• Members

If you've never done any alternating bass then that particular DVD will definitely be a challenge. Not sure if you're trying to learn a new style or learn the songs on that DVD. If you're more interested in learning the alternating bass style then there are easier DVDs to start with.

New style via learning whatever he throws at me. Do you have any suggestions for someone not familiar to this technique? I am not a bad fingerpicker.

Cheers, and thanks,

Glenn

• Members

New style via learning whatever he throws at me. Do you have any suggestions for someone not familiar to this technique? I am not a bad fingerpicker.

Cheers, and thanks,

Glenn

I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago and started with this set:

http://guitarvideos.com/video/dvd/9667dvd.htm

Worked well for me. Progressing through those songs will definitely develop your right hand thumb - and some of the songs are pretty cool. Once you have the alternating bass down there are dozens of DVDs that you could handle.

• Members

Cheers, and thanks,

Glenn

Like everything else, start WAY slow then slowly speed up. Some people advocat3e learning the bass first then adding the top/melody but that never worked for me. Also notice the way the country blues guys really "twang" the bass notes (esp Gary Davis). Try to work that in.

• Members

There are a bunch of good vids out there. The Doc Watson instructional vids are great, though he plays Merle Travis style with his index finger and thumb.

The Homespun John Jackson w/ Roy Bookbinder is another really good drop thumb vid with some excellent tunes covered.

I pretty much have the whole Stephan Grosman set and they tend to get redundant after 2-3 of them as he sometimes covers the same material.

• Members
After watching a few of his lessons on YT, I had the distinct impression of his influence on Clapton's playing, especially on his 'Unplugged' CD. I wonder how many licks EC copped from him?
:cool:

I don't think they're Grossman's licks. Both Grossman and EC got them straight from the masters.

[YOUTUBE]Fm1qtX7Mz5w[/YOUTUBE]

Archived