Okay...my first OT post...(but some slight Martin/Yamaha content)

Brindleleaf

• Members

Right...so...I know that really this isn't the place to ask, but can any one here tell me what I'd need to get a reasonable sounding electric guitar sound. I know NOTHING about electric guitars except that I once played my brother's crap electric when I was young and hated it.

So what do I need (spell it out for me because anything that has the word 'amp' in it is pretty obscure for me...) to get a real electric sound and not just thin, insip

• Members
You could put a magnetic pickup on your guitar, and put electric strings on it, and run it into a real EG amp, and maybe use an effects box, and maybe stuff some towels in the guitar.

It still ain't gonna sound like a Les Paul tho.
:idk:

Well, or go out and buy a Squier Telecaster. There is not muh with those Fenders, as they are virtually a slab piece of wood for the body, another slab piece for the neck, a handful (or two, or three) of magnets and some length of AWG42 wire.
Good thing is, Fender is like a Meccano kit. You mix'n'match. If you don't like the particular piece, you swap for something better. E.C. famous "Blackie" was build this way. The only thing you need to decide: Bruce Springsteen or Joe Walsh. Telly or Strat. I like both and had both. Could not decide, which one's better...

• Members

Hold on! Hold on! Let me go and google..'single coil pickups', 'Humbuckers', 'EG amp', 'effects box', 'towels' (WTF...I know this one!!), 'Joe Walsh'..etc etc

And frankly I've got no idea what the difference between a tele and a strat is...Is it as important as the the equipment that is used to shape bridge pins on an acoustic...MAN! those Rulyer-machined bridgepins are crap...I'll only ever use Haywood-machined ones..! (Sorry everyone if I start another fight!!! :confused: ).

• Members
I have to assume that since this is posted in the acoustic guitar forum, that the OP is asking how to get an electric guitar sound out of an acoustic guitar.

If that is not the case, then the answer is quite simple... get an electric guitar.
:D

And hey...i did say it was OT...! :facepalm:

• Members

1)

2)
(and install the software for even more options)

3) Possess most any sound you want.

Okay so something like 400$ total, that would work for me)....but I live in France, so I need something I can find here...and I know from experience that going into a guitar shop and dropping english words like 'single coil pickups' is like talking about Sonny Bill Williams (a rising talent in the All Blacks rugby teams)...you just get a blank stare and the cold shoulder.....

I've just watched the next part of the same video and this is what I see...

[YOUTUBE]gPcZm4EpXw0&NR=1[/YOUTUBE]

Maybe I don't need an electric guitar after all....can an effects box really do all this...?

• Members

You know, when someone pops up here, knowing little about acoustic guitars, and wants advice on the best-bang-for-the-buck type acoustic guitar, there are always lots of good suggestions for which guitar would be best suited for the prospective buyer.

Is it possible that when someone pops up in the electric guitar forum, knowing little about electric guitars, and wants advice on the best-bang-for-the-buck type electric guitar, there are similar suggestions for good electric guitars.

I'm thinkin' that the people over at the electric guitar forum would be better qualified to advise on buying an electric guitar and whatever else would be needed.

• Members

You know, when someone pops up here, knowing little about acoustic guitars, and wants advice on the best-bang-for-the-buck type acoustic guitar, there are always lots of good suggestions for which guitar would be best suited for the prospective buyer.

Is it possible that when someone pops up in the electric guitar forum, knowing little about electric guitars, and wants advice on the best-bang-for-the-buck type electric guitar, there are similar suggestions for good electric guitars.

I'm thinkin' that the people over at the electric guitar forum would be better qualified to advise on buying an electric guitar and whatever else would be needed.

LOL..! Yes of course you're right...but when people pop in here they get bombarded with good advice from people they don't know (buy a Washburn, a Crafter, go play everything, buy a yamaha with your eyes closed etc etc) and I figured that I know a lot of you here and wanted your opinions (or maybe I'm just shy and like the sound of your discordant voices)....but frankly if you have a look at the last video I posted and tell me that pretty much any acoustic can produe that kind of sound, then maybe I don't even need to venture into that oh so slippery slope of buying an electric guitar....

• Members

Also, to answer your question about an effects box... yes they can get pretty close. I occasionally play an under-saddle pickup equipped Epiphone through my Digitech GNX4 processor and on certain settings can sound pretty convincing.

My only issue is that, for me, there is a bit of "mental disconnect" when playing an acoustic while sounding like an electric. :idk:

• Members

Ahhh, I did not know you lived in France. Though
of the Xaviers and had it shipped over to the UK.

He bought his specifically to modify, but lots of folks play them stock and love them.

Wow...he spent more getting it shipped than the cost price, and then changed the neck...isn't it possible to find an something that cheap here in Europe (okay I know...it's probably NOT possible...!). On the other hand he seemed pretty happy with it...

Anyway, thanks for the info, I'll have a look around, maybe there'sd a distributer here in Paris....

• Members
Also, to answer your question about an effects box... yes they can get pretty close. I occasionally play an under-saddle pickup equipped Epiphone through my Digitech GNX4 processor and on certain settings can sound pretty convincing.

My only issue is that, for me, there is a bit of "mental disconnect" when playing an acoustic while sounding like an electric.
:idk:

I've only ever 'played' (giving you some idea of my playing level!) acoustics, so I doubt it would bother me....

• Members
LOL..! Yes of course you're right...but when people pop in here they get bombarded with good advice from people they don't know (buy a Washburn, a Crafter, go play everything, buy a yamaha with your eyes closed etc etc) and I figured that I know a lot of you here and wanted your opinions (or maybe I'm just shy and like the sound of your discordant voices)....but frankly if you have a look at the last video I posted and tell me that pretty much any acoustic can produe that kind of sound, then maybe I don't even need to venture into that oh so slippery slope of buying an electric guitar....

The guitars I suggested would be the ones suggested there.

Yamaha Pacifica 112

yamaha-pacifica-112v.jpg

Peavey Predator

USA%20Peavey%20Predator%20copy.jpg

• Members
  • Members

This^^^^, unless the OP wants a A/E Acoustic git. Then I say get a good acoustic and put some good aftermarket electronics on it.

The best of both worlds! :D

Alternatively, ya can't go wrong with a Strat.

• Members

If your looking for the equivalent of the FG730 in the electric world, got to go with the Pacifica. Better quality than fender/squier at the price (mainly because you're not paying for the name!)..

They don't look as cool as a telecaster though. And looking cool is important for electric guitar players ;-)

Archived