Rosewood: Indian vs. Madagascar vs. Brazilian

Killa J

• Members

there's much in a guitar's construction that determines its sound - aside from the wood....with that said, I have a Taylor 710 with Indian Rosewood back and sides and it sounds really good....medium loud and full of tone. I also have an early 70's G-70 Gallagher that is made of Brazilian Rosewood....it's way louder than my (or any) Taylor dreadnaught and sounds incredible!....I would never be so foolish to think that the type of rosewood used in its back and sides are the primary reason....I also have a 1964 Epiphone Eldorado dreadnaught.....its sound is amazing and its back and sides are of mahogany.....could it be that age is a factor here?....

• Members

There are two good articles in the latest Fretboard Journal - one about the Holy Grail of Braz and one about CITES and all the hassles of buying, owning and traveling with any guitar with listed wood. Worth reading.

Also, as an aside, back when Braz was commonly being imported I heard that the leading use (ahead of furniture) was coffins. Start digging.....

• Members

I wouldn't know how to answer that. The sound of a guitar is largely controlled by working the braces on the top. You can have great sounding guitars with either wood and you can also have bad sounding guitars with either wood. Ecologically, I would prefer East Indian Rosewood. Actually, I prefer mahogany over the rosewoods. It's not as dark sounding.

bigald18 :cool:

• Members

Also, as an aside, back when Braz was commonly being imported I heard that the leading use (ahead of furniture) was coffins. Start digging.....

makes sense. i'd imagine the floral scent of rosewood would make wakes that much more bearable.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

The tighter and straighter the grain, the better. (Old Growth) Brazilian rosewood has been used for CENTURIES for a reason. Nowadays it seems just a fashion thing as ppl will happily buy a giutar made out of completly crappy stumpwood,low grade Braz just because they feel its where its at. Most of the stuff being used now by notible companies would have been culled in the days of plenty. You always want 1/4 sawn wood. I think flat sawn has a more interesting grain apperiance, especially in braz reosewood. I woukld say that YES there is a difference simply because the industry has been using it for so long. ...look at the great strats... Have you ever 'knocked" on a piece of braz? its amazing

• Members

The tighter and straighter the grain, the better. (Old Growth) Brazilian rosewood has been used for CENTURIES for a reason. Nowadays it seems just a fashion thing as ppl will happily buy a giutar made out of completly crappy stumpwood,low grade Braz just because they feel its where its at. Most of the stuff being used now by notible companies would have been culled in the days of plenty. You always want 1/4 sawn wood. I think flat sawn has a more interesting grain apperiance, especially in braz reosewood. I woukld say that YES there is a difference simply because the industry has been using it for so long. ...look at the great strats... Have you ever 'knocked" on a piece of braz? its amazing

You know, for a first post... in a two year old thread, that's quite a revelation about tonewood. :thu:

Archived