Just played a Martin D-15M

Stackabones

• Members

This was at GC and it was the only 15 they had. I think I'd prefer the 00, maybe the 000, but without playing one I can't say. I've been getting more & more into fingerpicking lately (I've always been a hybrid picker), and I loved the sound of fingerpicking on that dread.

Slothead? Oh, man, are you kidding me. Gimme gimme gimme.

• Members

I tried a D-15S for a while (yeah, they made a 12-fret slot-head all-mahogany dread). Sounded a little bit "reverby" to me because of the large box. IMO, their smaller-body all-mahogany guitars work best. Hard to put down. They can make you a hog addict.

• Members

You have exquisite taste, Stack. That's my favorite cheapie Takamine. I do prefer satin finish, especially on the neck, but I don't think it's a huge factor in tone. The satin finish should be about 1/2 as thick as gloss, though. (Fewer coats.)

• Members

I didn't pluck any Taylors tonight. There were several in there. Not sure why I didn't pick one up.

Ok, so the finish may not have anything to do with tone -- but I do like the look! My Morgan Monroe MV-01 has a matte/satin finish. Just dig it.

Archived