Recommendations for a new acoustic?

ILikeGuitar

• Members

Around $700 new or used.

I have a smaller all solid Silver Creek T-170 that I use as a finger pick beater, but I am looking for a better quality guitar that is maybe a little bigger and good for flatpicking too (need a nut smaller than my current 1.75" width). Maybe a dread but nothing too big like a jumbo.

I tend not to like all mahog guitars too which rules out the Martin D-15M for me.

• Members

Around $700 new or used.

I have a smaller all solid Silver Creek T-170 that I use as a finger pick beater, but I am looking for a better quality guitar that is a little bigger and good for flatpicking too. Maybe a dread but nothing too big like a jumbo.

I tend not to like all mahog guitars too which rules out the Martin D-15M for me.

Used Martin OM1 GT ?

I tested one last November, and liked it for finger picking. (a lot)

• Members

I would totally be into the OM1GT but I think I want to go with a slightly smaller nut width this time. I hate flatpicking on a 000 sized guitar with a 1.75" nut. A 1.68ish inch nut width would be good. I've been looking at the D16GT, 000-16GT, D-1GT and the Guild DV-6, anyone have opinions on those guitars? I am no expert on acoustics so I am really just going by what you guys say haha.

• Members

I prefer the wider 1.75" nut width for flatpicking. If I'm just strumming/singing then I like a 1 11/16" nut width. Ditto to what Stack said. Don't get hung up with the name on the headstock. Yes, Martin makes excellent guitars, but there are plenty other very good brands out there. Play as many as you can and the one will let you know when you found it. My immediate thinking about a good strummer/flatpicker, narrower nut would be an Epiphone Materbilt DR dread.

• Members

I prefer the wider 1.75" nut width for flatpicking. If I'm just strumming/singing then I like a 1 11/16" nut width. Ditto to what Stack said. Don't get hung up with the name on the headstock. Yes, Martin makes excellent guitars, but there are plenty other very good brands out there. Play as many as you can and the one will let you know when you found it. My immediate thinking about a good strummer/flatpicker, narrower nut would be an Epiphone Materbilt DR dread.

Well now that I think about it, for flatpicking the nut width isn't as much of a deal as the string spacing at the bridge. I play electric so much that as long as the bridge spacing isn't too wide then it's fine.

• Members

I've been looking around and I think in terms of specs, the Taylor 214 (pre 2006 when they had all solid woods) seems to be what I'm looking for. I had a friend with a laminate 214 and I remember it playing well and it had the smaller nut and felt more like an electric. I just have to find a used one in good shape... the Yamaha LS16 is also a consideration as well. I just have to find ones I can try out and play now...

• Members

Even though I'm still in the honeymoon phase, I'm very impressed with my Yamaha LLX6A. It's a dread but its sides are nice and curvey with a fat waist which for me makes it very comfy for me. (at least sitting down). For $429 I can't think of a nicer gigging guitar.

• Members

So I went by a local music shop and tried a bunch of guitars. I actually think that martin's aren't for me. I tried a bunch of lower end to high end Martins and none of them really spoke to me in terms of playability or sound. They all sounded sort of dull and lifeless. I did enjoy playing a couple new Breedloves (Retro D/ER dread and Passport PLUS OM/CMe)... the D/ER dread sounded great to me and played pretty well. I tried a used Taylor 310ce and I thought it sounded decent but not for that type of money. I also tried a used Guild GAD-30R orchestra sized guitar and thought it was also alright but nothing significantly better than my cheap T170.

• Members

I'm going to echo the Yamaha recommendations. I have owned an LL6, LL26 and currently have an LL16. The 6 is a stunning guitar and the price includes a nice case. 'L' series Yamahas are real sleepers and a step above the FG range which are fine instruments in their own right.

• Members

I am interested in the LL16 and LS16 but I can't try them around here. I am considering Yamaha and Breedlove as my main two choices. I would say the LL16, LS16, and Breedlove OM/SM as my front runners but I have no idea how to decide without trying them :confused:

It just makes me worry a little bit to buy an acoustic without trying because everyone's tastes are different. I tried so many Martins the other day and I didn't really like any of them and so many people here love them and rave about them here. I ended up liking the two Breedlove models I tried more than the Martins.

Archived