How to Care for a Richlite Fretboard?

seagullplayer77

• Members

I was thinking about changing the strings on my Martin today, and I got to thinking that I have no idea how to take care of the Richlite fretboard. I took a cursory glance at Martin's website and the rest of the Internet and I didn't find anything, so I figured I'd come here.

My guess is that since it's a composite, it's low maintenance. I'm figuring that all the things that apply to normal fretboards (extra fine steel wool to clean, some kind of oil to condition) would be okay for Richlite as well. Comments? :confused:

• Members

I was thinking about changing the strings on my Martin today, and I got to thinking that I have no idea how to take care of the Richlite fretboard. I took a cursory glance at Martin's website and the rest of the Internet and I didn't find anything, so I figured I'd come here.

My guess is that since it's a composite, it's low maintenance. I'm figuring that all the things that apply to normal fretboards (extra fine steel wool to clean, some kind of oil to condition) would be okay for Richlite as well. Comments?
:confused:

Is Richlite the same thing as Micarta? For a composite, I don't think oil is necessary. When I had a 000-16RGT, I used to polish the frets with 0000 steel wool, which had no negative effect, visual or otherwise, on the micarta board. To clean the board (like if I got pizza on it or something), I think I just used a cotton cloth or, at most, a very lightly dampened cotton cloth followed immediately with a dry buffing. It really is extremely low-maintenance stuff.

• Members

Is Richlite the same thing as Micarta?
For a composite, I don't think oil is necessary.
When I had a 000-16RGT, I used to polish the frets with 0000 steel wool, which had no negative effect, visual or otherwise, on the micarta board. To clean the board (like if I got pizza on it or something), I think I just used a cotton cloth or, at most, a very lightly dampened cotton cloth followed immediately with a dry buffing. It really is extremely low-maintenance stuff.

I kind of figured on this as well. Old habits die hard, I guess.

Of course, the really important question here is what kind of pizza were you getting on the fretboard?

Archived