What's the best bargain for an acoustic guitar you've ever bought

baldbloke

• Members

I got my Yammy F310 on eBay recently for $30. It was very beat up, missing some strings & had duct tape on it. Nobody else bid on it so I thought I'd take a chance. I got it, had new strings put on it, oiled the fretboard, and adjusted to truss rod. Oh and cleaned it thoroughly. After all that it plays pretty nice and sounds really sweet, I'm very happy with it. Now was it a super bargain? No, because it required work to bring it back, and truthfully I doubt it's worth much more than what I paid for it, lol! But it was a great deal to ME. :)

• Members

I got this guitar in Oak Cliff, Texas, back round '90 or '91. Wish I could recall the name of the guitar store, but I can't. Maybe some long-time Dallasites will remind me? It was one of the places that has guitars stacked against each other eight or ten deep to the wall.

I found it a little deep in the stacks and pulled it out. No name on the headstock. Wide nut at 1-3/4" and deep V fat neck. Open-geared tuners still worked. Floating tailpiece don't float. Inside the upper f-hole I saw a stamp, much like a library due date stamp, that said Mar 1939 maybe Mar 1935 --

at least that's what it looks like. It's a bit smudged and I can't get a good pic.

I put into open G and pulled out my bottleneck and whoa. This was it. This was the sound I nneeded, but there was a problem. I had no cash. Guitar was $75, but I still had to make rent. I tweaked the B-string done just a bit and put it back in the stack.

That weekend I had a solid gig (Dead Thing at Dada). I made rent and had some money left over, but only $125, which needed to go to groceries and an electric bill. I went back and messed around with a banjo (still have it, too). They wanted $75 for the banjo, which was a little steep I thought. Would he take $50. Maybe, maybe, he said. I asked him about the acoustic archie and pulled it out of the stack. He strummed it, frowned a little, and then put that B-string back in tune. No one had touched in the week since I'd been there.
;)

Nice sounding guitar, he said. I asked if he'd take $50 for it. He glanced at the tag and shook his head yes. How about a bill for both the banjo and the guitar. He walked me over to the register and rang me up. I still had enough money to get new strings for both! (Though I ate ramen till the next gig.) Banjo had an old ratty case, but the guitar didn't have nothing.

This is the guitar I learned how to play bottleneck on. I used to sit on my front porch of my apartment building on the corner of Cole Ave & Fitzhugh in Dallas and play to the cars during the hot summer month's 5pm rush hour. Sweaty and mosquitos buzzing round and car windows sealed tight to keep the cool air in. Nobody ever walked by. Nobody walks in Dallas during the summer.

The only guitar I've owned for a longer period of time is my gutbox Takamine.

That's a Kay guitar. Based on the headstock shape and white button tuners. They sometimes had logos made of molded plastic that just stuck on the headstock face and just would fall off. I had that same model. Mine had a solid pressed spruce top but some are ply. It sounded great but something about the scale and high action (mine had no truss rod too) makes these better for slide for sure. I ended up selling mine because I don't play slide much. I think I got $300 for it on Ebay.

• Members
That's a Kay guitar. Based on the headstock shape and white button tuners. They sometimes had logos made of molded plastic that just stuck on the headstock face and just would fall off. I had that same model. Mine had a solid pressed spruce top but some are ply. It sounded great but something about the scale and high action (mine had no truss rod too) makes these better for slide for sure. I ended up selling mine because I don't play slide much. I think I got $300 for it on Ebay.

:cool: Thanks for the info!

• Members

Interesting. My first guitar was a Kay. Bought by my mom for me when I was about 12. I think it was used. Got that and a Mel Bay chord book. The Kay had horrible action--very painful to try to play chords. Impossible to play an F (xx3211) with my poor li'l fingers. So, like many dumb kids, I gave up on it after a few weeks. Finally began playing a few years later when a GF loaned me her classical that she'd strung with ultra-light gauge steel strings.

I think the Kay went to the basement and was given to Goodwill at some point. Or maybe St. Vincent de Paul Society as we were Catholics.

Too bad Mel Bay didn't have anything about open tunings or slide in that book!

• Members

I got this 69 Gibson SJN for $100 with case and leather strap from friend who ran coffee/antiques/used books shop. Logo on headstock looked fake, but played well so what the hell. After much research and detective work I figured it was the real deal.... someone just messed with name on headstock

gibby.jpg' alt='>'>

• Members

For me it would be my National "Don" model from about 1932. The one in the photo isn't mine. It's similar but mine was much prettier!)

don_pa8.jpg

I found it in an old music shop in Cleveland back in 1975 and got t for $350 because it had a very bent neck. It took me a year to find a Luthier who'd repair it because everyone said that the guitar was junk but despite the fact that it took a solid year, Tom Hosmer in upstate NY straightened the neck, put in a steel bar added an ebony fingerboard and inlayed it with Snowflake MOP and returned it to me for another $350.

I sold it for long money about ten years ago in a time of need but man-o-man... What a guitar! :love:

• Members

About a year ago, when no one was selling them in the US, I was about to buy one from Germany for $110 then learned that they could ship up to five for no additional shipping. I bought five hoping to offset some of my cost by reselling four of them. Put them on ebay and sold four for more than the five cost me. So my net cost for a Guitalele was -$56.

Archived