Takamine TAN16c vs ...

Count Dissident

• Members

I am looking for a solid choice on an acoustic guitar in the $1500 range that will be used for plugged in live performance,but that also has great tone unplugged. The guitar must be versatile enough to handle accompanied and unaccompanied strumming,single note/lead picking and also finger picking. I am also not a fan of really bright sounding guitars,especially when they start sounding metallic and harsh. I am looking more for something that has a warm,kinda dark sounding tone. I considered a ceder top guitar but I tend to get heavy handed when strumming and I am worried that a ceder top guitar may not be a good match for me.

After tons of reading and research I have decided that a Takamine Tan16c might be the guitar for me. The Cool Tube preamp seems to be a very respected and I haven't read many (if any) negative things about the guitar.I would love to be able to try before I buy,but nowhere even remotely close to me has one in stock.

So...is there any reason I should not give the Takamine Tan16c a try? Is there anything else I should consider in the around $1500 price range? Go ahead,talk me out of the Takamine Tan16c!! ;)

Thanks!!

-Count

• Members

The higher and taks are most def awesome . I played this model at GC it was used but sounded great,Martin makes the D16Gte which is a gloss top satin back and side electric I've owned one and it was the only acoustic I really regret selling wonderful tight sound ... Good luck.. Also man consider a preowned in the $1500 range

You may score a really nice Gibson or Martin on the right day! Guild is right in there too!

• Members

I'd look at a Yamaha LLX6A (laminated rosewood back & sides with a solid Engelmann spruce top) or LLX6DN (all-white Dave Navaro signature model with laminated maple back & sides and solid Engelmann spruce top.) Hudman who posts here less frequently lately had a LLX6DN that I had the opportunity to hear with my own ears. It had a very natural plugged in sound.

• Members

On the plus side, the bearclaw spruce top will be more durable than cedar. However, I've read that the Cool Tube preamp is a real battery hog. The Martin D16GTE (I've played the D16RGTE spruce/rosewood version) that pinchegordo suggested is a viable alternative if you want an A/E, although it probably won't sound as good plugged in (Takamine electronics generally beat Fishman). Beyond that, I'd recommend a good straight acoustic for maybe $1100-1200 with the rest invested in a pickup. Unfortunately, that will pretty much mean giving up on Takamine since most of their stuff in that price range is A/E. Maybe look at a Yairi or used Martin or Guild. As for a pickup, I'd recommend a dual source system (i.e., UST and SBT, UST and mike, magnetic and mike, etc.)

Archived