What is the impact of a youtube music video on music sales?

• Members

The common old fashioned promotion is still the best way to reach consumers. Youtube is rather a waste of time and loss of money, simply because the consumer who buys music does not waste much time on the interent, he uses his leisure time efficiently, goes to a online shop, selects his weekly dose of music and pays with credit card. This are the people authors, composers, lyricists and music administrators earn their living from.

• Members

Somebody much more creative than I am will come up with a way to make a gazillion dollars using all this new technology to sell their music and we'll all be sitting around going "wow..that was so simple...why didn't
I
think of that?..."

Maybe. Its been at least 15 years of slow decay now... Still waiting...

• Members

The common old fashioned promotion is still the best way to reach consumers. Youtube is rather a waste of time and loss of money, simply because the consumer who buys music does not waste much time on the interent, he uses his leisure time efficiently, goes to a online shop, selects his weekly dose of music and pays with credit card. This are the people authors, composers, lyricists and music administrators earn their living from.

I am always very interested in consumer behavior. This has not been my experience with a well developed and nurtured YT audience. Is there some study that backs up what you are saying? I would love to read it. There have been a number of artists that have recently used YT successfully to gain significant exposure and generate a lot of CD sales. Karmin sold a ton of their own music, made a ton of money with the YT partner program and then got a record deal, Kina Grannis turned down electra records (I think it was electra). Not that I think being offered a record deal is the measure of success, but I wouldn't say that YT was a waste of time for these artists.

I would agree that common old fashioned promotion can still be effective, but it is not a sure thing. One can burn a lot of money (and often does) with a radio or print promotion campaign. YT doesn't cost any money, but it does take time to do it right.

• Members

But your other point is well made: worrying about lost potential sales that you can't possibly control is a waste of energy and thought time...far better spent on creating more IP...
:thu:

Additionally, *most* adults don't casually pirate very much anymore (nor do most kids for that matter), because buying music in a digital fashion (or legal streaming) is trivially easy and priced at levels that are psychologically suitable.

Sure, lots of torrenting still goes on, but (at least in my experience -- which is considerable in this area given that my peer group were techs of the age that were using this before the general population) a lot of that torrenting has shifted to digital "hoarders" who are obsessed with creating huge collections of FLAC/ALAC files.

But, to add to what you say, you don't need every person out there to who listens to a YouTube stream to buy the song. You only need enough of them, and "enough" is a whole lot smaller when you didn't have a $15M advance.

• Members

Do you really think that casual consumers don't spend time on YouTube listening to music and watching music videos?

• Members

Do you really think that casual consumers don't spend time on YouTube listening to music and watching music videos?

He's WAY out of his mind and out of the loop...Youtube dwarfs ALL OTHER STREAMING SERVICES COMBINED...Look at Gotye..he blew up from youtube videos primarily..He's selling albums but this is NOT a business of selling discs anymore. Now, there are multitudes of potential revenue stream available and sales are only one piece of the pie. With over 200 million views Gotye for example can claim a LOT of cash from youtube and the exposure has made him a worldwide star thereby increasing his potential touring reach, merch sales, scored him a major label deal, etc etc....To say videos are a waste of time outs someone as a dinosaur who will soon be golfing and out of this changing industry....It's all going streaming and mobile anyway...It's about a single people can stream and share and a video that people can stream and share on their phones, or iPad and can go viral...THAT is the music business...There are so many places where an artists can get promotion now and if the product is great it will spread...

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Ah youtube..well , it certainly is one of the services that stays....Myspace was hot a year or so ago...it was THE site to promote your music....and look at myspace now..nowadays it is facebook...wich is making the same mistakes as Myspace did...it is getting way to complicated....try to find the music a band promotes on Facebook....guaranteed you will give up after a few minutes browsing trough a zillion messages about daft apps en useless postings..

Youtube is here to stay, and it will stay if they just keep it as simple as it is....

This is a video the band i promote placed on a lot of site`s way back in 2001....and youtube is the only one it still can be found on ...

[video=youtube;NrxoamAD_lo]

Ok , it took 11 years to get 3000 views.....but it still is there!

• Members

You can monetize your channel as well to generate extra income and there are minimal royalties that's generated from youtube. Make sure iTunes and Amazon links are there, and/or links to your website. Also maybe make others take down your video if a lot of others are posting it illegally.

• Members

I'm getting dumber and dumber about technology each year, I don't use youtube, know little about it. BUT. My girlfriends kid and his friends, I watch them sit and play old Led Zeppelin songs, Pink Floyd, etc. on you tube, THAT'S his stereo system! It always shows the cover of the album, and he just plays them in a row, just like listening to the real album. All the music that I've heard on classic rock radio for years, he's youtubing it, just like a radio.

These kids are like 20, not working real jobs yet, etc. Someday, though, I *promise* you they will each shell out for Dark Side of the Moon or Zeppelin 4, in whatever format it comes in then. The seeds have been planted. So, right now, I view Youtube as LONG TERM advertising. For a band like Zeppelin, it WILL pay off in some sales, it just might take 10 years. Your band will break up long before that, but legacy acts are probably being as well served by you-tube as the radio stations used to do.

• Members

I think artists biggest problem is obscurity. YouTube can be a great way to take you out of obscurity, it might not mean that you make money directly from a song you put on there that got a ton of hits, put it does give you leverage to make money from other things

• Members

Youtube dwarfs ALL OTHER STREAMING SERVICES COMBINED...

Baidou has 850 million members, that's about 800 time more then the population of Nashville metropolitan area. Thinking nonsense happenz when one has no clue what's going on outside the city limit.

• Members

When an artist appears on a prime time TV show, then the digital music sales raises by leaps and bounds.

When we place an article about an artist in a women magazin, the same happen.

This are two forms of traditional promotion I am talking about.

• Members

I think artists biggest problem is obscurity.

This is so true...a guy i know entered a singer/songwriter idols-like tv show....after the first broadast in wich he sang one of his songs his Youtube video went trough the roof...over 150.000 views in one week....

Before he was happy with two viewings a month...

Archived