Too early to talk humidifiers?

acousticdepot

• Members

The humidity inside a house doesn't usually take a serious dive until the temp really drops... like in December, but it's not too early to get ready. That looks like a pretty good price on a serious humidifier.

I like evaporative humidifiers like that one. They're cheap, simple, efficient, and quite effective. Maybe the only downside is that they're a little noisy.

The wicks in those evaporative types don't last more than a couple of seasons tho. Make sure you can find replacements. Maybe look at the Hunter models. They have aluminum wicks that last a lot longer.

• Members

The humidity inside a house doesn't usually take a serious dive until the temp really drops... like in December, but it's not too early to get ready. That looks like a pretty good price on a serious humidifier.

I like evaporative humidifiers like that one. They're cheap, simple, efficient, and quite effective. Maybe the only downside is that they're a little noisy.

The wicks in those evaporative types don't last more than a couple of seasons tho. Make sure you can find replacements. Maybe look at the Hunter models. They have aluminum wicks that last a lot longer.

Thank you, that's what I was looking for. I will take a look at the Hunters. Yes the humidity in the guitar room is still well in range, but I am getting prepared.

• Members

I've got a couple of these

561905.jpg

but I'm not too crazy about 'em. I assume they work OK, but it's hard to tell when the sponge inside needs to be moistened. One of the newer ones can be opened so the sponge can be physically checked. The others are the older type that are sealed. Don't care for those. Our furnace has a whole-house humidifier, but it's still a little difficult to keep the RH up to where it needs to be sometimes. We also use a smaller room type humidifier in the Winter in the room where my guitars are. So far, my guitars and violin seem to be in good shape.

I'm going back to my old standby, the sponge/baggie. I know they work and they're cheaper than peanuts.

• Members

28% here in Long Beach today. Humidity is a bitch to deal with here. In my home, I have a walk-in closet that I modified to store my guitars. I have a big Hunter unit going in there, and I routed a digital hygrometer outside the closet so I can see the reading without going in. I try to keep things around 45-50%. So far, so good. None of my guitars have cracks, all the necks are right where they should be, and the tops are all normal. Knock on wood.

• Members

I know this started with questions on room humidifiers, use to have one, never got the rooms up enough. You'll do fine if you keep it to one room, but when you start to see a lot of condensation on the windows, dial it back down a bit. I have a whole house AprilAire now, and it keeps it comfortable for humans, and static shocks, but depending on the temp outside, these aren't meant to keep your house at a constant 45-50%, though it would be nice.

So, in the case everyone goes! I have sort of an open concept, so there's no one room I can humidify. But here's some nifty humidifiers, you can see when they need water, and you should use distilled, to keep the membrane mineral deposit free, they work like a charm, and are convenient in many ways.

Oasis http://oasishumidifiers.com/index.html

caseplus_small.jpg

empty.jpgfull.jpg

They shrivel when moisture escapes, so it's a great visual.

• Members

I've found this one very easy to use:

The tank section lifts out and is easily refillable.

Do you use it for the whole house? Or just the room with your guitars? Also, how often are you replacing filters? I notice Sears wants $18 for them. Any luck cleaning them?

Thanks,

Bob.

Archived