Help! Martin d35 vs hd35!

AnalogMan13

• Members

Im a new Martin HD28 owner which i love btw.

But as much as i love my HD28 its broke in 2004 model sounds rest big boom love it. I played a d35 the other day and found i really loved its sound for what i do which is sing songs and finger pick.

Now i have a chance to sell my HD28 sunday for a little more than what i paid not much and could buy a d35 but should i hold out until i have enough doe for the hd35? Which i cant find one to test anywhere. But i also wonder how d35 vs hd35 will age some say you lose almost all mids in hd35 overtime? so would d35 be better for me save money and in time may open up very nice years later. I will miss the herringbone trim. But i agree with all the statements I've heard from others the d35 i played sounded like a piano and this is coming from someone who played over 40 hd28s before settling on the one i got which kicks every hd28 i plays butt. I will miss it but like i said the d35 had what i need and do most singer songwriter stuff and sounded like heaven so deep when playing bar chords. thanks in advanced. also I've heard some people say d35 is more versatile than hd35??:idk:

• Members

We all had a sort of impromptu meeting about a week ago and it was decided by mutual agreement that from now on we were all going to do our level best to be a more civil, polite and congenial group. So, in accordance with that agreement, all "smart ass know it all comments" have been suspended until further notice.

As soon as they lift the ban, we'll all jump on here and send some to ya. You may not have to wait very long.

• Members

Thanks bro.. Yea sounds like a great idea to me. I really loved the d35 i played this week. I also compared it to two hd28v models and kept going back to the d35 with bar chords its so deep unlike my hd28 though everything else seemed the same. if only my hd28 could produce that same feel id be set.

• Members

Seems to me you should get the d-35 you found. The whole idea is to love the particular guitar you're playing, and if that one does it, go for it! You didn't say if that particular one is available but I hope it is. I've played a '35 just about my whole career but don't have a lot of experience with the hd's. My first was stolen and it took quite awhile to replace. Good luck!

• Members

Yep, HD-35's are kinda hard to find to test out, but I suspect that you could be setting yourself up for disappointment if you just order one blindly. Stick with the ones you know (like maybe your HD-28), until you actually lay your hands on one that sounds better to you. (An HD-28 generally has a better resale value than a D-35.) Those qualities of "depth and boom" are more pronounced in the D-35, and even more pronounced in the HD-35, and they come at the expense of single note clarity.

Since you are worried about how it might sound when it "opens up", ask yourself this. How many Martin dreadnought owners do you know of who are unhappy with how their guitars have "opened up"?

• Members

Yep, HD-35's are kinda hard to find to test out, but I suspect that you could be setting yourself up for disappointment if you just order one blindly. Stick with the ones you know (like maybe your HD-28), until you actually lay your hands on one that sounds better to you. (An HD-28 generally has a better resale value than a D-35.) Those qualities of "depth and boom" are more pronounced in the D-35, and even
more
pronounced in the HD-35, and they come at the expense of single note clarity.

Since you are worried about how it might sound when it "opens up", ask yourself this. How many Martin dreadnought owners do you know of who are unhappy with how their guitars have "opened up"?

FF, I had thought that the D35 was more boomy because of the thin bracing. I had thought that the scalloped bracing on the HD-35 would create a less bassy response. I am wrong?

btw, I have an hd-35 and love it.

• Members

Scalloped bracing, or thinner bracing, both make for a looser top. This tends to enhance the bass response and tone complexity, maybe in slightly different ways, but that is the net effect.

Compare the HD-28 with scalloped bracing to the straight braced D-28. I own both, the difference between the two is very clear. The same effect can be expected between the D-35 and the HD-35.

Just my opinion.

• Members

Scalloped bracing, or thinner bracing, both make for a looser top. This tends to enhance the bass response and tone complexity, maybe in slightly different ways, but that is the net effect.

Compare the HD-28 with scalloped bracing to the straight braced D-28. I own both, the difference between the two is very clear. The same effect can be expected between the D-35 and the HD-35.

Just my opinion.

Because the D-28 does not have the 35's thin bracing, I would expect the scalloped bracing in the HD-28 to be boomer than the D-28. True?

Archived