Epi Masterbilt neck-set question.

Robin

• Members

I've been wanting a decent acoustic for some time now. I normally play bass and tinker around on my strat & tele, but wanted an Epi Masterbilt after all the "good" I've read about them.

I bought an AJ 500-R (factory refurb) online and while it plays and sounds beautifully, I have an issue with the way the neck is set. Now, I'm not "pro" enough to discern any subtle anomalies due to this set, just a strummer and a very novice fingerpicker. I am however kinda picky about sound and like I said, this guitar sounds wonderful.

There is a warranty. Do I need to send this back and continue shopping? Thanks all.

001-5.jpg

002.jpg

• Members

I take it that your issue with the neck set is because that end cap is crooked. Unless there are other real neck set issues like high action, loose neck, strings not centered, etc. I wouldn't worry about it. It is a factory refurb. Refurbs often have warts. You probably (or should have) got a pretty good break on the price because of that. Maybe take it to a local tech, and let him have a look, but I bet it's fine. Play it and enjoy it.

• Members

I take it that your issue with the neck set is because that end cap is crooked. Unless there are other real neck set issues like high action, loose neck, strings not centered, etc. I wouldn't worry about it. It
is
a factory refurb. Refurbs often have warts. You probably (or should have) got a pretty good break on the price because of that. Maybe take it to a local tech, and let him have a look, but I bet it's fine. Play it and enjoy it.

Thanks FretFiend, I wasn't sure of the proper terminology.

I'm experiencing none of the issues you've described above and this thing sounds/plays great. Thanks again.

• Members

Just me but I'd send it back. The online refurbs I've seen are $400 plus. The resale value, if you ever try to sell it, is going to be crap with such a noticeable flaw. I'd look for a good used model. I've seen them as low as $350 in very good condition.

It's not just you, fbh. I'd send it back too, if at all possible. It doesn't look like just a crooked end cap to me. To me it looks like the whole neck joint was improperly installed. It's twisted.

If it was listed as "used", I could understand it, but not if it was listed as a "factory refurbished" guitar. That little flaw would bug me as long as I owned it and I'm sure I'd take a "hit" on it if and when I tried to sell it. I'd exchange it or look for another used one in extra nice condition.

• Members

It's not just you, fbh. I'd send it back too, if at all possible. It doesn't look like just a crooked end cap to me. To me it looks like the whole neck joint was improperly installed. It's twisted.

If it was listed as "used", I could understand it, but not if it was listed as a "factory refurbished" guitar.
That little flaw would bug me as long as I owned it
and I'm sure I'd take a "hit" on it if and when I tried to sell it. I'd exchange it or look for another used one in extra nice condition.

Pretty much this ^^^.

It's bugging the crap out of me....just wrote the seller...I think it's going back.

I'm bummed.

• Members

Masterbilt epi is not so masterly built.

Mine seems to be.

I'd have sent it back, too. I once bought a Martin 000-15, and there was a little gap (about a mm) between the neck joint and the body, and although I was told by someone at Martin that it was 'within spec,' it would've bothered the hell out of me everytime I looked at it. I returned it.

• Members

Mine seems to be.

I'd have sent it back, too. I once bought a Martin 000-15, and there was a little gap (about a mm) between the neck joint and the body, and although I was told by someone at Martin that it was 'within spec,' it would've bothered the hell out of me everytime I looked at it. I returned it.

My new one is perfect. So much better than the one I sent back in every way. It came with a nice Silver Creek HSC as well.

The guy had 10's on it. I'll be putting 12's on soon.

• Members

Glad you got that issue resolved and that you're even happier with the results.

And as an AJ owner myself, if I might offer a bit of advice, keep a close watch that it's properly humidifed. Particularly for your first few winters.

Congratulations and enjoy your new AJ.

• Members

Although I agree with Fretfiend., I sure can understand sending it back. I sent back a custom mandolin some years back due to crooked position markers on the side at the 12th fret. But if I bought it as a refurb, and the neck was not twisted, the only thing was an improper cut at the heel, probably would've kept it. I mean, it IS a blem.

• Members

I'm glad you got that issue resolved, I have a AJ-500 as well, my first which I purchased from MF was a cedar top, however, these were the MB which had the bridge lift problems, so I sent it to Gibson for warranty, Gibson said they could not feel comfortable about fixing the issue because it will eventually begin to lift again, so they offered me a replacement, solid spruce top...I didn't care so I went for it...I love the replacement, it's perfect, however, the cedar top on the original did have a cool tone to it.

• Members

I'm glad you got that issue resolved, I have a AJ-500 as well, my first which I purchased from MF was a cedar top, however, these were the MB which had the bridge lift problems, so I sent it to Gibson for warranty, Gibson said they could not feel comfortable about fixing the issue because it will eventually begin to lift again, so they offered me a replacement, solid spruce top...I didn't care so I went for it...I love the replacement, it's perfect, however, the cedar top on the original did have a cool tone to it.

Good on them for offering you a replacement. Yeah, I like the sound of some cedar tops I've heard. Some say the mahogany AJ's are warmer than the RW, but it doesn't matter to me. I like "warm" and I like the sound of the RW. Each has their own thing. I like them both.

Thanks all!

Archived