Yamaha FG 150 acoustic??

GibsonVMan

• Members

Probably early 70's? Vintage from an age perspective, but pretty average all laminate guitars in my experience by today's standards.

Reasonably loud guitars for the size (lightly braced), but not so much beautiful mids or highs due to the laminates. Probably needs a neck reset, but the neck is epoxied in place, so a bit tricky to do.

• Members

I found a red label Yamaha Fg 150 with "NIPPON GAKKI" on the label. Is this a vintage Japanese instrument? What era and value??

Yamaha's from the late 60's and early 70's have an almost cult following (I own a 69 FG-180). They are usually laminate (you'll have to squint real hard when you look at the soundhole to tell) but they sound amazingly good. As Koiwoi says, most need neck resets and because of the way they are put together it is hard (but not impossible) to do. Tuners are crappy, but easily replaced, frequently they are pretty beat up. I've seen prices from $50 to 500, in my opinion one with a good neck angle is probably worth what I gave for mine new, a crisp $100 bill. Bad neck angle - maybe 50 if you know the trick to setting the neck (which can destroy the guitar) or if you want a dedicated slider.

btw - red label are more desirable than black, green or yellow

• Members

Squint...or use a watch maker`s loupe...thats what I do...and I saw my early `70s FG-170 had a laminated top which consists of a very thin top layer, a thicker middle layer followed by another very thin bottom layer...I would have bet money in the shop it was a solid top...and I would have lost. I always keep my loupe with me now just in case I come across one that needs a close look see.

Archived