Any Cedar top'ed acoustics . . . .

SirJackdeFuzz

• Members

my most-played acoustic is a USA Washburn J20S i bought back in '94 (walnut jumbo body, cedar top)

this model was only made for one or two years, and it cost a good bit more than $500, but i just wanted to give a :thu: to cedar-topped steel-strings

for gigs, i run it through a baggs padi (it has a passive iBeam installed) into a carvin ag100d amp; LOVE the way it sounds, strummed or fingerpicked

best wishes for finding a nice cedar :)

• Members

Seagull S6 is also my first thought. All of my git-playin' pals like mine, though the top does chip up a bit. I also punched a hole in the side of mine when I bumped into it with a vacuum cleaner while it was on the stand. :facepalm:

Crafters are nice, too. I have one of their plastic-bodied A/E guitars which plays and sounds good. I got it as a beater for the road, and I would expect their all-wood guitars to sound better unplugged.

As for DBZ, I didn't know he was making acoustics, but I love my DBZ electrics. The soft-V profile neck is incredibly comfortable, at least for the first few hours of a session. At some point the narrower pressure point becomes noticeable, but that's usually when I'm ready for a break anyway.

• Members

I think Rondo ships to the UK...you might call them. They are a mail-order business.

I owned that guitar and loved it for the money. The case was worth easily $50 alone.

I installed a soundboard transducer in mine for gigging with a band and used it a bit. It sounded fantastic but I must mention that gypsy jazz guitar has a sound that's very cutting, loud and without a lot of sustain. Not a pretty bell-like sound...more like a Dobro. Great for acoustic lead guitar (a la Django swing playing) and maybe short choppy jazz chord comping....but the wrong tool for other types of music. It wasn't the guitar it was me...and eventually I gave it away as a present to a friend. If you play pop, folk, rock, new-age, ethnic music like Celtic etc...it's the wrong guitar for you. If you like to play acoustic lead guitar (like blues lead guitar with other musicians) or of course jazz lead guitar etc...that's where it realy shines.

• Members

If you play pop, folk, rock, new-age, ethnic music like Celtic etc...it's the wrong guitar for you. If you like to play acoustic lead guitar (like blues lead guitar with other musicians) or of course jazz lead guitar etc...that's where it realy shines.

I would probably put nylon strings on it - that was my thought anyway..

• Members

The problem is that shipping costs, UK tax and customs clearance would virtually double that price.

I would probably put nylon strings on it - that was my thought anyway..

Ouch. Maybe get a friend to mail it to you whole lives here in the states.

As far as nylon strings, might not drive the top well. These guitars are made for steel strings and Rondo recommends really digging into them with a thick pick to get the right sound out of them. The bridge is floating so intonation wouldn't be an issue. But really you might just be better off with a classical braced lighter at that point.

Archived