New (baritone) Guitar Day (belated)...

Mike_E_McGee

• Members

Wow, I want to see and hear this thing. My Stella clone is not a true bari - it has a 26.2 scale and I'm currently tuned four semi tones down to C, then further down to the equivalent of open G (BEBEsomethingB). I know exactly what you are saying about frets and reach - i get really screwed up unless I'm looking at the markers all the time and yours would be much worse.

I tried stringing it like Ledbellys and tuning to A, it really didn't work so I'm using a Kottke set from Elixer (remember mine is a twelve string). One of the problems you may face is that due to the extra length and tail piece standard strings may not be long enough - on mine a couple of them just barely reach the tuners.

You probably know the trick in open D of playing G songs moved up (away from the floor) one string - it works for some things better than others.

I've been keeping the biscuit in open G, the Stella clone in G but down four, the tricone and the Wessie both in open D, the spider in high bass G and the old Yamie in open C. Each time I pick up a guitar I gotta figure out where to start.

• Members

You do realize that thing has a big ol' colander-looking pickguard stuck on the top just under the strings? It's the round silver thing. Pickguards usually aren't my thing but that looks pretty cool.

• Members

Following this thread by Sfarsfky . . . . . .

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2875573-6-string-guitar-bass-hybrid#

. . . . . . about the guy who fitted a couple of bass guitar strings to an Eko Ranger VI instead of the 6th and 5th strings, I've converted my old Eko to a baritone using the 2nd to 6th strings (15 22 30 42 52) of a set of 11 gauge strings as the 1st to 5th strings and a single 62 thou string for the 6th. I have it tuned down to B (the tension with the strings I've used is pretty much the same as a guitar tuned to E with standard gauge strings). It works fine.

• Members

You do realize that thing has a big ol' colander-looking pickguard stuck on the top just under the strings? It's the round silver thing. Pickguards usually aren't my thing but that looks pretty cool.

:lol: and it's probably a laminate....

I like those Mike, that one is a beaut.

Archived