R.I.P. Robin Gibb

Hoddy

• Members

Huge talent, but have to say I never took to his voice. It was just absolutely not my cup of tea. Cloying and affected. Sugary. Lacked manly depth (Springsteen, Kath), soul-stirring magic (Lake), raw emotion (Dylan, Vedder, Stipe), leonine grit (Daltrey), or come-hither allure (Nicks, Summer, Lennox).

But hey perfect for sugar-lite pop and falsetto disco. Kinda like M. Jackson, only whiter and lighter.

• Members

In the Saturday Night Fever time period, they were so over played and I very much got tired of hearing those songs, How ever, it seemed many did not tire from those songs for a longer time, and today some consider them classics.

I do admire his work and accomplishments. I never seemed to tire of hearing "I started a joke"

Of course my heart goes out to anyone and their family when there is a battle with cancer.

• Members

Like early Gee Gees' music...the Disco era Bee Gees, otoh, were pretty wretched .

Agreed--some great pop melodies and songs in the pre-disco era, even if a bit too sweet. But the vocals for the disco stuff, to my ears, is only one level of aural irritation removed from Alvin and the Chipmunks.

• Members

I never really thought of the Bee Gees as a "disco" act. Their SNF tracks weren't like the typical disco tunes of that era to my ears.

I was one of the original disco haters back in the 70's, but ironically I can occasionally hear an old disco tune now and appreciate in a much different light. Maybe I really liked them then, but did not want to admit it.

I was trying to think what my fave BG's tune was after Robin went, and I concluded it was the killer "Lonely Days," a truly haunting aural experience for a fresh new teen back in the day, what with all the ice skating, roller-rinks, and puppy love going on then! :rolleyes:

Archived