Noob question

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

I was going through a tab book and noticed some of that numbers in the tab are circled but not others, even within the same chord. What is the meaning of having the numbers cirlced? I tried to find the answer on my own and couldn't find anything.

• Members

What's a tab book?
:idk:

New fangled sheet music where they don't give you the rhythm... or the notes.

I kid, I kid. The notes and rhythm are usually right above the staff you're reading.

[/smug bastard]

I'm very glad I started young and started on sax where I was forced to read standard. I couldn't imagine trying to learn it now, and while I can read very well, I can't sight read on guitar almost at all. Single note lines maybe, put chords in and I'm done. I'm just glad I can use standard to communicate with other musicians and can use it to learn pieces.

Tab isn't standard (standardized I mean). Usually there's a key in the front of the book where they explain the markings. [edit] could quite possibly be the bass line as Sangemon mentioned.

• Members

Sorry guys I was being a little silly. I know what tab is. In fact from what I understand Tab has been around longer than standard notation and was originally used for the Lute. Even though I am primarily an ear player I too have used tab once in awhile to figure out a part.

• Members

They aren't ghost notes or bass lines, at least not all of them are. There isn't a discernible pattern that I say, nor does the book have a legend that explains. It's not really bothering me what they are, I was mostly just curious. By the way, the book is the Legend of Zelda arrangements for guitar. I remember playing some of the earlier games as a kid, and I bought for nostalgia's sake.

Actually, I found a screenshot of one of the pages. Maybe now someone will be able to say. Scroll all the way to the bottom.

http://www.alfred.com/samplepages/00-38589.pdf

Archived