Do I need an ego check?

u6crash

• Members

A little back story [skip to the next paragraph if you don't care]: The church I grew up in needs a new roof. Church roofs are expensive. My mom and sister are actively involved in the fundraising effort. I'm not actively involved in the church and haven't regularly attended in years, but I understand their value to the community and the church has been there when I needed in the past. So I was thinking about their fundraising efforts and how their margins are so low. One solution I considered (but never discussed) was that they should invest some serious money in hiring a noteworthy musician to play a show and sell tickets. This might appeal not just to church folk in the local community, but draw in some other people from churches in the tri-county area. The more I thought about it, the more I thought it was probably too much of a gamble. The musician I considered was Bryan Sirchio as he has relevant Christian music and is someone known in that circle.

So the alternative I thought was that *I* could play a benefit show. My tentative plan is to just have a free concert in the local community park one Sunday afternoon and have a coffee can or something for donations making it clear that all the funds are going to the church roof fund. One advantage being that since I'm a heathen I can play all the secular funds I want and it might draw some folks that aren't into the whole church scene, but make them just feel guilty enough that they'll throw in a couple bucks. I don't have a lot of friends that would show up, but I think given that I haven't seen a lot of former classmates and came from a rural community, I might get a handful of people to stop by out of curiosity and to just say "hey".

My question is, is this entirely too self indulgent or does it come off that way? In addition to music I've always been into art and it's difficult for me to say, "Hey, buy my art. It's cool stuff and you should give me money for it." Maybe this is my own hangup, but do you know what I mean? I'm not the most impressive musician, mostly cowboy chords and such, but most people who have seen me play at open mic seem genuinely impressed. Any thoughts?

I'd be looking to do this in about five or six weeks, which gives me time to get practiced again. I'd really want to raise at least $100, but who knows what kind of turnout there would be. Sample clip below. If I suck, let me know and save me the embarrassment. I'd really appreciate your feedback.

[video=youtube;MJe_IjAawNA]

• Members

If this is genuinely something you want to do your intentions are admirable. Just go for it. Enlist the help of others who stand to gain from your contribution to get the word out. Be where you need to be and give the best performance you can. Make it your goal and see it through.

Your playing is worthy of the task. I wouldn't obsess about that part of it. I'm also a secular person but a keen sense of community keeps my opinion carefully tucked away. I read that in your desire to give back, as well, so I'd say you are ready to take on the task. Good luck.

• Members

I say go for it. Its a good cause and your playing is ok. Are you the next James Taylor? No. But definitely passable and not the kind of act that will get booed off. I agree that you shouldn't get hung up on that part of it too. Passable is all you need if the cause is good and people are aware of that. Be clear what its for in your promotion of it and go for it!! I don't think its ego but only you can really know that.

• Members

That wasn't bad. So how are you at roofing?
;)

Right about now I wish I was a certified contractor. Not that I have the equipment to take on the roofed spire of a church, but I was all set to close on my first on this coming Thursday until the appraiser said (in contrast to the home inspector) that the roof was at the end of its life. Bank said "no house for you" and now we're stuck trying to figure out an alternative.

Thanks much for all the encouragement. I'm still a little nervous (and a bit disappointed to learn that I'm not the next James Taylor :p) but I'll definitely put some thought into it.

• Members

I think your doing great -giving of ones talent is a special gift . Maybe do a benefit coffehouse or talent show --you could get a few others in your community to perform as well.

Have some of the ladies in your church do some baking , have a refreshment table -do a 50/50 drawing . youd be surprised how far it can go .

Im betting besides doing something wonderful for your church you will also have a great time .

Archived