There's some awesome music out there.

richardmac

• Members

We are always bitching about the good old days of radio telling us what to listen to and the fact that there's no one feeding us stuff now... and the Internet is a big huge vast place and we don't have time to find good music, it's too hard.

Bull{censored}.

The youngsters don't have this problem - it's us old farts. And it's because we've heard it all - you hear a band and it's a rehash of The Cars. You hear an artist and it's a rehash of Hendrix. And so on. It comes with the territory of getting old.

But I remain confident that for those who wish to find new music to like, it is out there, no matter how old you are. I'm 46 and am extremely picky about music, but I'm finding great stuff.

Here's an example. I was watching (well, listening to, really) the Adult Alternative channel on Verizon cable - it's a pretty damn good radio station, no DJ, no commercials, mix of older and newer music. I heard this young guy and really liked his song. Looked him up and checked him out on Spotify, and I think he's awesome. Kid's name is Brett Dennen and he's been around for a good 7 years but I'd never heard him. The cynical will say his music sounds like he's ripping off Paul Simon. I'm not going to say every song of his is great, because it's not true, but listen to "Blessed." My God. It's like I've been eating clay (listening to the radio) and someone just gave me a bite of sirloin steak. And it's drums, bass, and acoustic guitar and Brett singing. You can hear him breathing during the intro. In this day and age of loudness wars, this sort of music ought to be applauded. Instead, that song came out in 2005 and practically no one ever heard it. Without the Internet and Spotify I'd be stuck with {censored}ing Nickelback.

Or listen to "Comeback Kid (That's My Dog)," which is the song I heard on Adult Alternative and you'll probably love it or hate it. This is a kid who is just singing from the soul and making the music he wants to make.

• Members

It's true that the culture of hits is over, when it comes to non-pop music. There is no more radio, no more MTV. And non-existent production/distribution costs means there's just a colossal amount of new music out there.

I don't even bother with new music; I'm enjoying exploring all the amazing music which was written in the past.

Overall, I think it's a great time for music. Artists no longer have to compromise their work in order to get onto radio and MTV. Ultimately, this leads to deeper and more interesting music, IMO.

• Members

Yeah—it really does strike me what an interesting mix of music there is these days. And I would argue you really don’t have to look that deep to find it. For instance, who would’ve thought Mumford and Sons would be one of the most popular bands to come out in the last couple years? And that’s just one example. I like pop, so perhaps I have a higher threshold of music I find tolerable, but there’s a lot of stuff I’m hearing that doesn’t sound like cookie-cutter pop. Even if you make the argument that it’s a rehash of something that came before (when has that not been the case?), it kind of pokes holes in the theory that one must sound a certain way to be popular. The current landscape way too diverse. Yes, you’re always gonna have your Britneys, Justin Biebers and Katy Perrys, but at least they have to share the spotlight now.

• Moderators

We are always bitching about the good old days of radio telling us what to listen to and the fact that there's no one feeding us stuff now... and the Internet is a big huge vast place and we don't have time to find good music, it's too hard.

Bull{censored}.

The youngsters don't have this problem - it's us old farts. And it's because we've heard it all - you hear a band and it's a rehash of The Cars. You hear an artist and it's a rehash of Hendrix. And so on. It comes with the territory of getting old.

however, Richard, you did not find this music via the web, you found it via a cable radio station...so I think you need to retract or redact your opener...:wave:

• Members

Not that I could say if I'ma typical user, but I find a lot of music directly through the web, with a combination of spotify and facebook shares About once a week, I find a new (to me) artist that I like via social media. A lot of it comes from being freinds with younger folks, but stuff I like such as Neon Indian, Skrillex, plus a whole lot of "well, that's nice, but I'm not gonna remember it. I still do a lot of "I never really gave Iggy Pop a chance, let's see what he -really- sounds like", but I also do a lot of "that's an appealing cover on the front page of my spotify, I wonder what it sounds like".

There's a lot of crap out there, but it isn't any harder to find interesting new stuff on the net than anything else, and I don't feel like I need to be fed anything to find it.

If you don't have time to look for new music, then fine-- there's a lot of stuff I don't have time for.

But there is plenty of interesting stuff out there, and it isn't hard to find just because there is a lot of it, so I think RM's point stands.

• Members

Yeah—it really does strike me what an interesting mix of music there is these days. And I would argue you really don’t have to look that deep to find it. For instance, who would’ve thought Mumford and Sons would be one of the most popular bands to come out in the last couple years?

Are they cleaning up in the US right now? They're just another indie band in the UK, though there was a period when you couldn't get away from them.

• Members

however, Richard, you did not find this music via the web, you found it via a
cable
radio
station...so I think you need to retract or redact your opener...
:wave:

NOPE! No retraction, because I believe the opener is still true. I just happened to give a bad example. A good example would be that I discovered Crystal Method online via the iTunes Music Store. :)

• Members

I agree. We're living in a great pop music renaissance - everybody is in on it 'cept white dudes that think music stopped being good round the time G n' R booted Adler for being... to G 'n {censored}ing R.

There's insane {censored} happening in mainstream pop - mostly in the dance and hip hop end of things. All of the interesting guitar-and-drum oriented white boy music is happening in indie music. Mainstream rock is on life support sadly. But if you're looking for rip-{censored} awesome new sounds made for and by crackers:

Ema - California.

Cults - Go Outside

Holocene - Bon Iver

Hell on Wheels - Pistol Annies

EmmyLou - First Aid Kit ***

Common Burn - Mazzy Star

Bottles & Bones - Califone

Will Do - TV on the Radio (I they're black, but still: It's skinny-Boy Hipster Music..)

Runner Ups - Kurt Vile

Blood on the Knobs - Glossary *** This is from 2007, I think, actually. But I think about the Grumpy Bastards that haunt this kinda forum every time I hear this unbelievable track - this {censored} will speak to most of ya'll *****

How I Roll - Britney Spears - - - - - This might make some ya'll gag at the prospect. But no {censored}: This song is retarded. It's so good I almost shat myself. Britney is a plastic vacant bitch with no soul. Whatever. This song delivers the pop-fantastic get your goodies off goodness. I was thrilled by this track. Good for her.

Archived