This could be you

tbry

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by EdBega

View Post

Do the airlines offer insurance for damages they might cause?

Probably not, they're not that dumb I'm guessing ...

Well, my own experience is that if the guitar is over a few months old, they'll "devalue" it by it's age, so, in the case of my 1943 "Banner" J-45 (not sure if the notion of "vintage" was even in effect when I recieved it for my 13th b'day, but likely not) they decided was worth $150, and that's all they would pay, period. This was in 1975, but I understand it's still how most, if not all, airlines do things.

You can buy extra insurance, for up to said instrument's upper value rating, but there's no guarrantee that any airline will honor it at full value. I know of one guy who bought full value insurance for his late '60s D-21, which was in a Carleton case...the blade of the forklift still skewered the instrument, in the case, and he's been fighting the airline and their insurance company for more than 3 years.

The airline's insurance company feels that a Carleton case is not strong enough to deserve it's ATA rating, it seems, and they share FretFiend's simplistic view of reality.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Allan Hall

View Post

Well, my own experience is that if the guitar is over a few months old, they'll "devalue" it by it's age, so, in the case of my 1943 "Banner" J-45 (not sure if the notion of "vintage" was even in effect when I recieved it for my 13th b'day, but likely not) they decided was worth $150, and that's all they would pay, period. This was in 1975, but I understand it's still how most, if not all, airlines do things.

You can buy extra insurance, for up to said instrument's upper value rating, but there's no guarrantee that any airline will honor it at full value. I know of one guy who bought full value insurance for his late '60s D-21, which was in a Carleton case...the blade of the forklift still skewered the instrument, in the case, and he's been fighting the airline and their insurance company for more than 3 years.

The airline's insurance company feels that a Carleton case is not strong enough to deserve it's ATA rating ....

Yeah that sound about right ...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Peaveyaddict

View Post

Leave that vintage 335 at home and rent an Epiphone Dot when you get to the town the gig's at.

I've been waiting for someone to bring that up. Who tours with a $10,000 guitar? Besides, say, James Taylor or Jackson Browne?

If you can't afford to lose it, leave it at home.

Archived