What brand is this?

porterrex

• Members

Can't tell much but I'll look in my history of the guitar book tonight. Some sort of little parlor - but there were many being made at the turn of the century. I've not seen that globe marking before.

There is a fairly good chance that it was made out of Brazilian rosewood which could make it somewhat valuable whatever the brand.

• Members

it has only 16 frets if that give any more info to identify it.

No, most guitars of that era where twelve frets clear of the body and would have whatever else it took to extend the fretboard to the sound hole. It was only in the 20's or so that Martin made the 14 fret neck and added a few more frets.

One thing that could be helpful would be to look inside with a mirror - I am curious what the braces look like. Again, as some time around 1900 Martin started the the X brace - until then guitars either had parallel ladder bracing (like the back of current guitars) or small braces that fanned out on the lower part of the body. Knowing if your has an X might help us date it (if the strings are off you can look inside with a mirror, with strings on you can probably see the X or a straight brace just below the sound hole.

I'll do some more research tonight, but I may not be of great help.

• Members

I'm suggesting it's an old Global Guitar. There is some speculation they were made by Harmony but I have never seen, that I can remember, a Harmony with that body style.

I agree with Terry, looks very much European, possibly Spanish or Italian as well as those he listed.

• Members

it has steel strings. Unfortunately I dont have it - just saw an ad about it and as old guitars sometimes are better built and with better material it got my interest.

I have an ukulele made by Martin about 1920 and the tone is so great.

• Members

Well, I wouldn't purchase a guitar that old with the expectation of it being a player, or if it was a player I'm sure the price would be such that I could purchase a much newer guitar for less money.

It's not necessarily true that an old guitar is better than a new guitar.

• Members

Could very much be a european guitar. It has been used by a person in the salvation army in the north of europe. Is global a good or a poor brand regarding quality?

This is only a guess, but I'm thinking it's closer to a Harmony than a Martin...but probably quite a bit better than, say, a First Act or a Esteban.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

Archived