Raven Jumbo Acoustic

MattTele

• Members

A local guitar shop has this old 70'ish acoustic and I know nothing about it. I dont have pictures, but its a sunburst, has crown inlays, and the mustache headstock.

Please help? It plays and sounds fantastic, i just dont want to pay too much

-Matt

• Members

I'll assume you mean "mustache bridge" rather than "headstock." Sounds like it might be an A451J. That's what came up when I Googled "Raven J200 copy". Terry Allan Hall is our resident expert on older Asian made guitars. He'll probably chime in soon.

• Members

I think the OP may actually mean the headstock. Like the shape of the end of a Gibson headstock. And, he also mentions a "crown" inlay.......another Gibson trademark. I could be wrong too, I guess. Never heard of Raven guitars. Terry, get in here! Help this man out.

• Members

Raven is one of the more obscure "Generic Pacific Rim" builders, at least here in the US (I've heard that they were built for the European market, but I have no idea how accurate that info might be).

Mostly electric knock-offs of Gibsons, Fenders, BC Richs and Mosrites, from what I've seen...the only acoustics I've ever encountered were Martin knock-offs, but I expect they made Gibson-oids, as well (J-200, like the OP is enquiring about, Hummingbirds and likely Doves, too, maybe a few other models), as most "Generic Pacific Rim" builders did.

Comparable to 60s and 70s-era Ventura, Ibanez, etc., and definitely lam. back/sides, but quite likely a solid top on the upper-tier acoustic models.

If they're not asking too much (I'd hesitate to go over $300 or so, unless it was in absolutely immaculate condition), and the bridge is still secure, neck straight and frets/action good, it'd be a nice-looking beater. :thu:

• Members

I'll do my best when Im in his shop next. I offered him 250 and he refused it, so I think hes pretty firm on 325.

OK, well, if it's structurally sound (bridge well set, neck is straight, action is comfortable, etc.), it's just a question of "do you want it enough to pay $325 for it"...only you can answer that, and there really are no wrong answers.

• Members

The Raven I've seen was a Martin 000 knock-off. It was definitely all lami and not the best example of workmanship around.

With pieces like the Yamaha 700S series available new for under $300, I would certainly take a pass.

http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/Guitars/Acoustic-Guitars/6-String-Acoustic-Guitars/FG730S-Solid-Top-Acoustic-Guitar.site1prod519049.product

• Members

So what year does it look to be? Any guesses? When did Raven stop making guitars?

The guitar looks real nice :thu:

As for when Raven stopped making guitars? I'd hazard late 70's or probably around 1980. I know they were made in Japan and most probably at the Matsumuko (sp?) factory which I believe burned down in 1980 -81. Univox was another brand that was made by the same factory. I do know these guitars were not expensive at the time. I seem to recall my Raven bass having the name Raven inlayed on the headstock in fake mother of pearl. :D Mine was a Sunburst Jazz bass copy that I gave to a friend who promptly stripped the body and painted it flat black...:lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Members

I have a Raven J200 copy. it has a maple body and solid spruce top.  I've had it for about 35 years.  It is a Model A305M.  Can anyone tell me anything about it.  Looks exactly like a J200 but instead of Gobson on the head it says RAVEN.

• Members

I have a Raven J200 copy. it has a maple body and solid spruce top.  I've had it for about 35 years.  It is a Model A305M.  Can anyone tell me anything about it.  Looks exactly like a J200 but instead of GIbson on the head it says RAVEN.

• 3 months later...

Archived