Ebay ..don't ship outsde USA !!!

hotdog

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by BootRoots

Heres the only reason I have buddy: Because I don't have to! There are plenty of buyers for my stuff stateside without me having to worry about other stuff. I'm pretty confident that whatever I am selling will get a fair market price without having to do anything extra. If you were in our shoes you would be the same way. Why would you care about some potential buyers in some other country?
:confused:

I am in your shoes, I live in Baltimore.

Anyway, I've sold a few pedals on ebay where the highest bidder was foreign, not to mention a couple guitars that had foreign bids, thus raising my selling price.

You certainly can do whatever you want, but cutting out a huge part of your potential market doesn't seem to be in your interests as a seller.

• Members
Originally posted by BowerR64

I dont like to for a few reasons, 1. is you have to fill out extra crap... with outside the US they ask "whats in it? how much is it worth? is it a gift? whats the total value" screw all that {censored}.

Yeah, real difficult questions to answer and takes all of two minutes to fill out while the postal worker gets your change from the register. :rolleyes: The word "lazy" comes to mind.

the guy just happens to be a gibson collector and the package is gone for good. Its just extra crap that i dont really want to deal with.

Uh, Ever heard of insurance? Ever heard of actual instances of postal workers stealing a package? Doubt it happens often.

As soon as i busted out a tracking number he stop sending me e-mails.

You could have the same hassle shipping within your own borders.

There are to many extra rules to ship outside the US that most buyers dont instruct.

My experience is that 30% of Americans fail to follow the simplest of shipping instructions.

The guy that bought my guitar sent me an e-mail AFTER i sent the package "please ship USPS so there are no custom fees, please say its a gift, give the lowest amount possible" It makes you feel like a crook.

Nothing wrong with USPS. The only thing dishonest about this is if you say it's a gift when it's not... just because it is requested doesn't mean you have to do it. Just simply explain that you have a problem with marking it as a gift. No big deal.

I don't mean to take shots at you BowerR64 because I know there are many many other Americans that feel the same way as you. I would just suggest that the reasons listed above are exaggerated at best.

• Members

Originally posted by cloudnine

I hate the customs rape that Canada has to go through with our {censored}ty, "tax-everything-possible-to-the-highest-rate" deal. I bought a pickup valued at $70 from a forumite here, shipped all fine, and go to the post office only to find I owe them $20. {censored}ing bull{censored}.

I guess this works going both ways? A very friendly guy from NS was willing to sell me a set of pickups but advised me that some kind of brokerage fees would apply from UPS or something. He basically told me it wouldn't be worth it.

• Members

Originally posted by cloudnine

I hate the customs rape that Canada has to go through with our {censored}ty, "tax-everything-possible-to-the-highest-rate" deal. I bought a pickup valued at $70 from a forumite here, shipped all fine, and go to the post office only to find I owe them $20. {censored}ing bull{censored}.

You don't pay a penny more or less to the government then if you bought it from a local store. You DO pay a brokerage fee if you use UPS or many of the other couriers.

• Members

please say its a gift

Customs are wise to this...
Duty- $13.50
GST - $6.20
PST - $7.08
Handling fee - $5.00
=$31.50
Paying more in duty and tax than what my item originally cost...{censored}ING BULL{censored}!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

• Members
Originally posted by jeffsfrey

Yeah, real difficult questions to answer and takes all of two minutes to fill out while the postal worker gets your change from the register.
:rolleyes:
The word "lazy" comes to mind.

Uh, Ever heard of insurance? Ever heard of actual instances of postal workers stealing a package? Doubt it happens often.

You could have the same hassle shipping within your own borders.

My experience is that 30% of Americans fail to follow the simplest of shipping instructions.

Nothing wrong with USPS. The only thing dishonest about this is if you say it's a gift when it's not... just because it is requested doesn't mean you have to do it. Just simply explain that you have a problem with marking it as a gift. No big deal.

I don't mean to take shots at you BowerR64 because I know there are many many other Americans that feel the same way as you. I would just suggest that the reasons listed above are exaggerated at best.

Everything i posted happened to me, none of its bull{censored}. Its all true, and this is why people from the US dont want to ship out side the US. If it wasnt a big deal this post wouldnt even be here. I didnt make all these rules but it is a hassle when i do it.

Check it out, when i sent the last package i took it to UPS they wanted to hold it till i got a phone number from the person who bought the guitar from me. I didnt even have his number, they gave me {censored} because i didnt have all the info.

Im in a wheelchair and i wasnt about to take this big ass box back home for a phone number then bring the damn thing back. Im not kidding its bull{censored} shipping outside the US. I feel they make it this way to keep trade in the US.

I went ahead a few times and shipped out side the US and its bit me in the ass every time.

Hell just talking about shipping outside the US is a hassle. :p

• Members

There is basically no reason for a US seller to take a risk on shipping outside the US when the potential pool of domestic buyers is so large.

It has nothing to do with nationalism whatever. It's a basic, rational decision.

The constant demands to lie on customs forms (and the consequences of having underdeclared items lost or stolen,) are enough to put me right off.

• Members

Originally posted by hotdog

I notice alot of the Ebay auctions and Ebay stores don't ship out side USA..

Wonder why that is??..I am in Canada..that sucks !!

Don't get me wrong, but I have BAD experience with Canadian purchases and sales, such as misrepresented (outright lie) products and fake cashier

• Members

Honestly, I get the feeling that it shouldn't be really an issue who you ship to as long as you've established whether the guy is trustful or not.
Asking doesn't kill you so go ahead. Plus someone said that you get a better price, that is actually true. Sometimes, it'll come down to cheaper for a foreign buyer even if it's a high price for the USA.
As for the gift issue, I don't see it as a bad thing. When you know that even if you put "gift", they still put a tax on the thing.
That's what happened to me. So imagine if I had to pay the custom fees and the taxes, it would have been ridiculous for me.

• Members

Probably 1/2 my guitar sales go to Canada now. Potentially because it looks like I'm one of the few that will ship to Canada.

International shipping IS a hassle; I can ship a guitar anywhere in the USA w/o ever having to leave my office, but an international shipment requires a 12 mile round trip to the UPS hub because UPS' on line software sucks. One question you have to answer is the products' country of origin/manufacture. Pretty much all the guitars I sell are either made in China or Indonesia. Once I put one of those countries on the form, which I HAVE to, it then asks for my Federal Import license id number, which I don't have because I'm a retailer, not an importer. I can't get past this point on line, so I have to drive to the UPS hub in town and fill it out by hand.

I have used the Post Office to ship to Canada, England, and Denmark. I don't use the Post Office anymore; I always lose money with them in real and figurative terms. To create a shipment to Canada in the UPS hub takes about 4 minutes. I have to stand in line at the post office for at least 20 minutes before I can even start the process. The UPS employees are helpful, cheerful, and glad to have my business. The post office employees act like me trying to ship something beyond across the street is reason enough for them to consider early retirement. They openly bitch, whine, and complain about what I'm trying to do. Screw 'em. I don't use the post office anymore. It's obvious they'd much rather sell stamps all day than deal w/a package. That decision costs me business because the post office is cheaper on international shipments and to places like Alaska and such, but it's not worth the hassle to me. I used them for the last time 2 weeks ago to ship a guitar to Denmark Air courier. It was supposed to be there in 10 days; I've yet to hear from the purchaser if he's gotten it yet. I sent a Tele kit to a guy in the UK surface courier and it took 2 months.

Each of my ebay listings has a disclosure about import taxes and duty fees. I've been asked to call it a 'gift' one too many times and homey don't play dat.;)

• Members

"Each of my ebay listings has a disclosure about import taxes and duty fees. I've been asked to call it a 'gift' one too many times and homey don't play dat"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In your case I wouldn't do it either. Designating a sold item as a gift is really only an option for the casual seller, NOT for a retailer.
For the average person who sells a few items a year it works and as far as I'm concerned, bypasses a usurious money grab by my government.

• Members

Oh, and one other thing... are Americans aware that Canadians have to fill out the SAME type of forms when shipping our stuff to them? No complaints at this end... fewer lazy people I guess. If customs forms are such a hassle, then just add a nominal $2 fee to the shipping cost to cover that oh-so-valuable minute that you spend pushing a ball-point pen... do sixty of those in an hour and you are making some serious cash!

• Members

Oh, and one other thing... are Americans aware that Canadians have to fill out the SAME type of forms when shipping our stuff to them? No complaints at this end... fewer lazy people I guess. If customs forms are such a hassle, then just add a nominal $2 fee to the shipping cost to cover that oh-so-valuable minute that you spend pushing a ball-point pen... do sixty of those in an hour and you are making some serious cash!

Broad generalizations and accusations about an entire nation are silly. I don't see where this {censored} comes from. My personal decision to not ship outside the country has nothing to do with being lazy or any of that {censored}. Its simply my choice. like it or don't like, but why the hell is it such a big {censored}ing deal?

• Members

Originally posted by BootRoots

My personal decision to not ship outside the country has nothing to do with being lazy or any of that {censored}. Its simply my choice. like it or don't like, but why the hell is it such a big {censored}ing deal?

When I walk out of the shopping mall, it's my choice to hold the door open for the stranger walking immediately behind me... it's called "common courtesy"... I don't have to do it, but there's no good reason NOT to do it, so I'd be considered a prick if I didn't.

The point is that there is no real legitimate reason NOT to ship to Canada... if you choose not to help someone out ( for no other reason than to excerce your freedom of choice) then guess what...

• Members

Originally posted by I Hate Snow

im from buffalo and canada is right fricken there so i have no problems with people from ontario picking stuff from ebay up

You Rock!

I actually have a friend in Buffalo who accepts packages on my behalf and then sends them over to me... a bit of a hassle and expense, but it's one way around this problem of guys not shipping to Canada. But the latest trend that bugs me is Americans on eBay who won't let me bid even if they will be shipping the package to my friend in Buffalo.

• Members

The point is that there is no real legitimate reason NOT to ship to Canada... if you choose not to help someone out ( for no other reason than to excerce your freedom of choice) then guess what...

spare me the high and mighty talk. nobody sells stuff on ebay because the feel the need to help others out. They sell stuff to make a few bucks. I guess I'm a prick. It looks like you have it all figured out.

• Members

I've ebay-sold stuff to Germany, Thailand, Canada, UK, etc...it's no big deal as long as you get your shipping details and costs correct.
I can see someone not wanting to deal with the extra work involved but it's really no biggie.
You can live in the freakin' nether-regions of Boola Gamboola as far as I care, so long as I get my $$$, you'll get your stuff.

Archived