Gibson 498T - too much treble?

acape

• Members

I recently got an SG Standard with a 490R in the neck slot and a 498T in the bridge slot. I love the sound of the 490R, and I find myself using the neck only position most of the time, even in solos. This surprised me because with my two humbucker strat I rarely use the neck only position, and NEVER do when I'm soloing, it's too muddy. Anyway, I feel like when I hit the switch to bridge pickup only, which I love in my strat, it is way too much treble. And not just the normal "bridge is more treble," but even more so, almost piercing.

Does anyone else hold this opinion of the 498T? I'm considering trying a Classic '57 in the bridge position. Would that tame the treble a bit? I still want it trebly, but not so much as the 489T. How would that mesh with the 490R still at the neck?

Thanks.

• Members

I like the 490 series, they're very sensitive to height adjustments. try lowering the treble side, or bring the bass side up. You also don't want them super close to the strings. To smooth them out, lower the polepieces a bit. You just have to use your ear and play with them.

• Members
Originally posted by acape

I recently got an SG Standard with a 490R in the neck slot and a 498T in the bridge slot. I love the sound of the 490R, and I find myself using the neck only position most of the time, even in solos. This surprised me because with my two humbucker strat I rarely use the neck only position, and NEVER do when I'm soloing, it's too muddy. Anyway, I feel like when I hit the switch to bridge pickup only, which I love in my strat, it is way too much treble. And not just the normal "bridge is more treble," but even more so, almost piercing.

Does anyone else hold this opinion of the 498T? I'm considering trying a Classic '57 in the bridge position. Would that tame the treble a bit? I still want it trebly, but not so much as the 489T. How would that mesh with the 490R still at the neck?

Thanks.

Roll back the tone control. Also as mentioned,I hope you messed with pickup height before posting this.

• Members

Originally posted by MrChitlins

Considering the lack of a maple cap, wouldn't a 498T in an SG be brighter than in an LP ?

i really don't know as I'm no expert but I suppose you would have to also consider the difference in thickness between the two types of guitars.

I think maple is a harder wood ( no pun intended :D ), so my uneducated guess would say that would make the tone brighter

• Members

Originally posted by blueswoman

I like the 490 series, they're very sensitive to height adjustments. try lowering the treble side, or bring the bass side up. You also don't want them super close to the strings. To smooth them out, lower the polepieces a bit. You just have to use your ear and play with them.

+1.

I've never had any probs with mine. But it's in a Les Paul Doublecut.

BK

• Members

I really like the sound of the 498t. I prefer it to a Super Distortion i had in another guitar. I'd definately try the tweeks others are recommending before giving up. They sound great for rock when going through a cranked up amp. For blues I always prefer the neck pickup. What styles are you using it for?

• Members

Check your volume pot if it is 500K switch it to a 250 or 300. You can also do the same with the tone control. It must be a bright guitar because I tried a 498T in my studio and custom and it lacked sizzle and was way too hot for me. I ended up putting '59's in both guitars.

Archived