Just got a new ProTone!!!

Dustball

• Members

just bought a new squier protone from my teacher,its in great shape and is h/s/s. He upgraded the pickups to kinmans in the middle and neck,it sounds awesome and looks awesome too check out the pics kevman ( my dad) took. Check out the flame on the back of the neck!!!

March2005116.jpgMarch2005115.jpgMarch2005114.jpgMarch2005113.jpg

• Members

Welcome to the board Junior Kevman! Hope you're as cool and if ya get outta line we'll just tell him....:D

Pretty damn cool. I wouldn't mine having that axe, GASin for a Floyd equipped guitar and I know the protone definitely would not disappoint. I've never really played a Trem equipped guitar so its gonna be a new experience once i get one.

• Members

Originally posted by chiro972

Nice guitar. I like those pro-tones, but they are getting pricey these days. At least on Fleabay.

that is partly due to forums like these ironically. In spreading the word about how great they are and what a value as well, we brought demand up and most of the sellers probably have read the praise and have priced accordingly. Plus the bidders have heard to and want one bad enough to go a little bit higher also. It's our own damn fault :mad: :mad:

LOL.

• Members

Originally posted by chiro972

Nice guitar. I like those pro-tones, but they are getting pricey these days. At least on Fleabay.

The Thinline Teles are moving up quickly into the high $300's looking at $400 soon, maybe appropriately, when you look at used MIM '69 RI prices. (I did get a Protone Thinline on a 2nd chance Ebay transaction for $225 plus shipping last summer.)

The Strats can still be had reasonably. Here's one I recently snagged:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7314595947

They more typically go from $200-275, a lot of guitar for the money IMHO.

• Members

Originally posted by jerry_picker

The Thinline Teles are moving up quickly into the high $300's looking at $400 soon, maybe appropriately, when you look at used MIM '69 RI prices. (I did get a Protone Thinline on a 2nd chance Ebay transaction for $225 plus shipping last summer.)

Damn JP, how did I miss that one. Exact model and color I was wanting. Good on you!!!! i want a Strat to go with my tele.

• Members

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7314595947

I hate you! :mad:

• Members

I saw that auction. You got an absolute steal on that guitar. I got mine for $200 plus shipping and I thought I got a good deal.

These Pro Tones are damn fine guitars. Perhaps someday they'll get the respect they deserve.

There was a guy on Ebay that relisted that same model Pro Tone like in the original post about 100 times. I don't think it's the same one though as I don't think it had Kinmans.

• Members

Originally posted by AtomHeartMother

There was a guy on Ebay that relisted that same model Pro Tone like in the original post about 100 times. I don't think it's the same one though as I don't think it had Kinmans.

He even had near-professional pics with his ad. I'm not much on Floyds or I'd have probably snagged it. In my twisted little book, Protones are quite comparable to guitars costing five times as much, and I always have room for more. :D

• Members

I saw that auction. You got an absolute steal on that guitar...

These Pro Tones are damn fine guitars. Perhaps someday they'll get the respect they deserve.

:D

The white Protone Strats have a clubby 50's style neck profile (I like!), while the transparent cherry wine/gold hardware Strats are more modern in neck profile (also good).

I suspect that the gorgeous guitar in the top post is more like the cherry "Bordellocaster" (except with a Floyd, a humbucker, and one less tone knob ;)).

• Members

:D

The white Protone Strats have a clubby 50's style neck profile (I like!), while the transparent cherry wine/gold hardware Strats are more modern in neck profile (also good).

I suspect that the gorgeous guitar in the top post is more like the cherry "Bordellocaster" (except with a Floyd, a humbucker, and one less tone knob
;)
).

The different models of Pro Tones are supposed to be modeled after certain eras of guitars or something. Supposedly the blonde Pro Tone with the maple board is supposed to be some 50's Pro Tone or something. Do you know anythin about this?

• Members

The different models of Pro Tones are supposed to be modeled after certain eras of guitars or something. Supposedly the blonde Pro Tone with the maple board is supposed to be some 50's Pro Tone or something. Do you know anythin about this?

I thought this too but I talked to someone at Fender once and they said no and they are all the same neck profile, etc. Just the color is old style.

• Members

Originally posted by J.B. Lee

It looks like Autumn in all of those pictures. Do you live in the Southern Hemisphere?

kevman's location is New jersey and he took the pics so I'd bet he's in NJ

• Members

Yeah, We're in Jersey. It's spring dude give the trees some time to fill out.lol.

I don't know much about Protones and their apparent mystique but I do know that Dustball got himself a hold of a killer guitar here. The radius is flatter than most Strats and the frets (as you can see) are jumbo. The neck is beautiful with a nice subtle flame + it's 1 piece which I think is cool.

• Members

Originally posted by Kevman

Yeah, We're in Jersey. It's spring dude give the trees some time to fill out.lol.

I don't know much about Protones and their apparent mystique but I do know that Dustball got himself a hold of a killer guitar here. The radius is flatter than most Strats and the frets (as you can see) are jumbo. The neck is beautiful with a nice subtle flame + it's 1 piece which I think is cool.

Beauteous! :cool: Y'all done good.

• Members

I bought a vintage white Pro tone strat at a pawn shop in Memphis about 2 years ago for $175. I dropped a set of Fender fat 50's pups in it and played it for a while. I had a great time with it, and it served me well through a six month gig that I was playing with the orchestra of a musical.

However, i realized that i wasn't a strat guy after trying a bunch of different ways to "fatten up" the rythm sound, and ended up selling it. I put the original pups back in and sold it for $250 about 6 months ago. I did however include an old beat up hardcase with it though.

I wouldn't hesitate to get one again if the need or desire ever arose, but all my needs are currently met, and i have no money of any kind right now.

Archived