ES-335 Clones

Cokeman

• Members
Originally posted by Cokeman

Are there any to avoid?

A semi-hollow thinline instrument is not as simple to build as a solid body. And, here, the quality of the tone woods used makes the most difference (albeit least mentionned in these threads) between a high end semi and a cheapo one. What it means is that often, a very cheap semi-acoustic is gonna LOOK like a 335 and will make a fine "prop" for the lead singer (who may or may not be able to play guitar) but will not only lack sound but also intonation, playability, quality hardware,etc.

I can better speak of the high end ones so I'll leave it to more experienced forumites to suggest you something in your price range. You should be able to have some luck. And that's what I wish you. :)

• Members

Originally posted by red|dragon

let me know how that guitar turns out

My Ibanez AS-80 Artstar arrived. First thing I did was take off the cheap pickguard hanging by a thread.

Set it up -- changed the strings to 11s, cleaned the body, oiled the fretboard, adjusted the relief (had way too much), adjusted the pickup height, the action was how I like it.

Wow, what an easy playing guitar. No buzzes or rattles. Nicely finished, the neck feels great. Though it's a bit thinner than what I'm used to and prefer, adjusting to it was effortless.

Doesn't sound too impressive unplugged, so I had some concerns...

But then plugged it in... and still had concerns. Until I turned the volume pots up all the way. I always do treble bleed mods on my guitars so I'm used to be able to have the volume not maxed and the guitar still sound bright.

Anyway, with the volume maxed, the bridge gave me that bite and bit of twang I expect; the neck gave me smooth. Can get some real nice blended middle position sounds. But frankly, it's not going to knock my Teles (Japanese 72 Custom and 72 Thinline RI's) or my Gretsch jazzbox from my hands.

BUT THEN, I tried it with fuzz. OMFG, what a monster. It sounds so fantastic with my London Fuzz and Jacques Wercer Box (fuzz face clones). Batteries are dead on my 2-knob Britbender and BuzzRite (original Tonebender and Mosrite FuzzRite clones) but I can't wait. That's what this guitar is going to be for me. Fuzz Monster.

So, for $280, I got a well-made, great playing guitar that's a bit disappointing clean but unleashes the voices of hundreds of pagan gods through fuzz pedals. So, I'm quite pleased.

I realy would like to do the treble bleed mod but on a semi-hollow, getting to the pots, etc. looks like a real pain... oh, well. I want the volume maxed for the fuzz this thing gives me anyway.

• Members

ARTSTAR AS-80/120 are the best bang for buck 335 clones . (as in period.)
I have put sperzel's on mine only because the kids got me a set for Christmas one year, otherwise dead stock and is the envy of several friends with real 335s and who have looked for an instrument to compare with mine. I bought mine new and still feel it was the deal of the century for what I got for my money. The dealer was shocked, because we ordered it and with real 335s and epiphones on the wall wouldn't order any more because they knew their stock on hand would never sell with these in the store. By the time they were able to put some on the wall they weren't available anymore.
The one guitar guy at the store that played mine was trying to hide it and I stopped by the store to see if had arrived yet otherwise they were going to give my $$back and tell me the order was cancelled by Ibanez and keep it. I guess thats the perks of being the first one to see a shipment to the store but my being there at the right time sure got me my "best" guitar.
In fact I just realized I treat this one special like it was supposed to be in a museum or on a pedastal some where instead of a Korean knockoff and that's with real Gibsons & G&L's & Fenders sitting around,mmm just realized that, never really thought about that before!!
Somebody just had a AS-120 (cherry red w/gold hardware with the case) either here or on the bay for a real good price...I think I'll go look for it see ya, Na, I got mine do yourself a favor if you need a 335 style guitar, don't let one get away!!

• Members
Originally posted by 335clone

!doh!

Done. hopefuly they can shed some light on the history of this fine axe. btw, how old is yours and how is the logo positioned on yours? Do you know where the s/n or other info
should
be?

Hohner hasn't answered my e-mail...:mad:
You?

• Members

Originally posted by DanRoy

agile AS-820: i want one....bad. i love the cosmetics. also basically the same construction as the Fender Starcaster, a dream guitar of mine (maple/maple/maple). haven't played it, I'd probably change pickups, but I don't like a lot of humbuckers, they are probably fine enough.

Look more like a Starfire IV to me

• Members

Originally posted by I'm A Coal Man

ARTSTAR AS-80/120 are the best bang for buck 335 clones . (as in period.)

I have put sperzel's on mine only because the kids got me a set for Christmas one year, otherwise dead stock and is the envy of several friends with real 335s and who have looked for an instrument to compare with mine. I bought mine new and still feel it was the deal of the century for what I got for my money. The dealer was shocked, because we ordered it and with real 335s and epiphones on the wall wouldn't order any more because they knew their stock on hand would never sell with these in the store. By the time they were able to put some on the wall they weren't available anymore.

The one guitar guy at the store that played mine was trying to hide it and I stopped by the store to see if had arrived yet otherwise they were going to give my $$back and tell me the order was cancelled by Ibanez and keep it. I guess thats the perks of being the first one to see a shipment to the store but my being there at the right time sure got me my "best" guitar.

In fact I just realized I treat this one special like it was supposed to be in a museum or on a pedastal some where instead of a Korean knockoff and that's with real Gibsons & G&L's & Fenders sitting around,mmm just realized that, never really thought about that before!!

Somebody just had a AS-120 (cherry red w/gold hardware with the case) either here or on the bay for a real good price...I think I'll go look for it see ya, Na, I got mine do yourself a favor if you need a 335 style guitar, don't let one get away!!

Picture?

• Members

Local dealer has the Hohner 35 semi-hollow in Tobacco-burst and it is one nice guitar. The have had it in stock for 7-8 months and it is made in Korea. The stock pickups are from SKY of Korea and sound pretty good. The guitar can be abit heavy, but it has a nice fat neck. The older MIK Hamer Echotones were nice too, but the hardware, pots and pickups were not up to the level of the rest of the guitar. The new Hamer imports are made in China and just don't have it anymore IMHO.

I have a Washburn HB-35 that has cheap pots, caps and the pickups are just OK. I installed new pots, wiring, caps and Duncan pickups. It sounds "KILLER" now. The construction quality and acoustic tone of the guitar is great. I really love the neck, since it is one of the few semi-hollows with a "V" neck carve.

The Agile is pretty good too, sometimes the frets and necks can be out of whack. The Agile has a narrow width neck at the neck, but the neck carve is a very full "C" carve. The stock pickups seem good too. The P-90 Agile semi can really benfit from a good set alnico mag P-90's. Less R&R gring, but better cleans and the edge of dirt sound essential to Blues and a lot of rock can be had at more volume levels and and really improves pick attack sensitivity.

I think the Washburn is the best of the bunch stock and is made from killer sycamore that is as flamey as HELL. That "V" neck is one of the best I have ever played and funny when I got it I did not know what a "V" carve was!!!!

gt5litre

• Members

I have had several run-ins with Artstars. One AS-120 was only a few months old and I loved the Super 58 pickups. The 58's are a lot like a real Gibson PAF. Great airy sounding mids, but prone to microphony; especially in use with hi-gain amps like a Mesa MK IV.

The AS-120 is a little "guilded palace" in appearance and this one was a great guitar. Just full of great tone and red, my favorite color. I hesitated, did not buy it. Actually glad about that since in the passing months I have found that skinny necks cause me a lot of pain. The 120 has one of the skinniest necks I have seen that was not on a "Shredder-type" axe.

gt5litre

• Members

I have a Korean Tokai 335 copy. When I bought it I tried out
a second hand Gibson and a second hand Heritage in the same store for comparison. I would have been willing to save for a more expensive instrument if they had been noticeably better.

Not only were the others not better, of the 3 guitars I preferred the tone of the Tokai. There are issues with hardware which is not as good as the high end ones and will probably need replacing but tonally it was the best (to me anyway). I think the reason for the this is that it is made from the "wrong" woods. The centre block is not maple - looking at the grain it may be spruce or something similar, while the neck is maple. The centre block gives a warmth that the traditional maple one lacks while the maple neck adds some top end bite. Overall the combination is very good and works very well.

If it had come down to a choice between the Heritage and the Gibson I would would have gone for the Heritage although its possible that the Gibson I tried was a bad one. Its also possible that I got a much better than average Tokai.

I would definitely recommend trying the Tokai if you can although it may be difficult if you are in the States.

Al

• Members

Originally posted by DRPool

How about giving this a try and letting the rest of us know how it does:

They have a master volume and coil taps on the buckers. They've got a model with a Floyd as well.

dp

The main problem with the Kramer is they use plywood.

When I was looking for a 335 clone, I was considering the Artcore, Epi Dot and the Agile. I was leaning towards the Agile but ended getting the Artcore AS73 as a gift.

• Members
Originally posted by gt5litre

Local dealer has the Hohner 35 semi-hollow in Tobacco-burst and it is one nice guitar. The have had it in stock for 7-8 months and it is made in Korea. The stock pickups are from SKY of Korea and sound pretty good. s!!!!

gt5litre

Just curious...what does your local dealer want for that Hohner? :D

• Members

Originally posted by 335clone

I really don't know much about mine, or how old it is (it's at least 10 years old) and it has the Hohner on the headstock like this

H

o

h

n

e

r

Between the tuners instead of how they currently are. Any ideas??

Who be sellin' Hohner guitars online?

• Members

Originally posted by I'm A Coal Man

ARTSTAR AS-80/120 are the best bang for buck 335 clones . (as in period.)... Somebody just had a AS-120 (cherry red w/gold hardware with the case) either here or on the bay for a real good price...I got mine do yourself a favor if you need a 335 style guitar, don't let one get away!!

I have an AS-120 identical to what Coal Man described. I can't argue with any of his points. I LOVE mine. At $550 +/-, you can't lose with an Artstar.

Archived