ES-335 Clones

Cokeman

• Members

the new epiphone dot studios, the candy colored ones: crap, absolutely terrible...just dead. I played 3 or 4, all the same. could just be pickups though.

oscar schmidt bluesman: owned this for a few months...depressing! I put really expensive pickups in it and it just had a "dry" sound that's in the wood.

regular epiphone dot: owned it for a while, sounded great, but i sold it anyway, didn't like the neck at the time, now I don't think i'd mind (it's sort of wide and a bit thin)

hamer echotone: best looking of the clones, for the accurate look anyway. I played a couple and they sounded fine

agile AS-820: i want one....bad. i love the cosmetics. also basically the same construction as the Fender Starcaster, a dream guitar of mine (maple/maple/maple). haven't played it, I'd probably change pickups, but I don't like a lot of humbuckers, they are probably fine enough.

• Members
  • Members

Originally posted by DanRoy

agile AS-820: i want one....bad. i love the cosmetics. also basically the same construction as the Fender Starcaster, a dream guitar of mine (maple/maple/maple). haven't played it, I'd probably change pickups, but I don't like a lot of humbuckers, they are probably fine enough.

These are very nice guitars. Also very versatile. I usually use this one for rhythm and acoustic/electric tones but the neck position is great for leads too. Here's a little snipit of a song I'm working on. The acoustic and leads were done with the AS-820. Forget about the drums, they are just to set a beat and will be changed later to fit the song.

http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Members/000146185_000010909_proj.mp3

• Members

Originally posted by hardtdc

These are very nice guitars. Also very versatile. I usually use this one for rhythm and acoustic/electric tones but the neck position is great for leads too. Here's a little snipit of a song I'm working on. The acoustic and leads were done with the AS-820. Forget about the drums, they are just to set a beat and will be changed later to fit the song.

There is a nice used one on ebay now that looks like yours. Too bad I don't have the money right now. I used to have an ES-330TD and miss it badly. It was completely hollow with P90s and sounded awesome. The AS-820 with P90s is really looking good to me right now.

• Members

I have a new, MIC Hamer Echotone and it is a very nice piece. The neck is great and it sounds the way a 335 should. At under $300 with the case, it was well worth it. One of my high school students just got an Aslin Dane 335 and it seems very nice, too.

• Members

Originally posted by jerry_picker

Yes!

These are especially nice if you find one of the earlier MIK (Hohner HS-35) models. I sure do like mine.
:cool:

I really don't know much about mine, or how old it is (it's at least 10 years old) and it has the Hohner on the headstock like this

H

o

h

n

e

r

Between the tuners instead of how they currently are. Any ideas??

• Members

I have the Tokai ES-60 335 copy - it is an excellent guitar....however I cannot compare it to the others.

I also have an Aria FA-80...so I can also give Aria extremely high marks....I think they are tremendously under-rated. My Aria is probably my favourite guitar.

• Members

I just bought a Dillion DSE 533 Deluxe on Monday for $300 used at a local store. New I think they go for around $500. It's the best looking, playing, sounding, and feeling lower priced 335 knock-off I've ever played. I really,really like this guitar. My semi-hollow gas has been solved. Wait, I take that back- I still want the Agile semi-hollow with P-90's.

• Members

Originally posted by 335clone

!doh!

Done. hopefuly they can shed some light on the history of this fine axe. btw, how old is yours and how is the logo positioned on yours? Do you know where the s/n or other info
should
be?

My headstock has "Hohner" in sort of script across the top of the headstock with a little pineapple-fleur-de-lis in MOP in the middle:

guitarTjazzhead.jpg

The serial number in mine is on an oval red sticker inside the body directly below the upper f-hole.

I bought mine used, and don't know its age.

Keep me posted on Hohner's reply!

:cool:

Archived