Goodbye Fender Strat. Hello Parker Fly.

Café Dekcuf

• Members

I just picked up a P-38 (used near mint) today... I really am impressed with the guitar overall. I'm going to mod it a little and change out the knobs to chrome ones as well as put a nice set of locking tuners on it.

Other than that, the tone was very fat... I love the piezo blend - really added a nice toneful boost.

Mine is a transparent red, ash body... mmm mmm good.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by Teddy

don't you guys miss the dot markers on the fretboard? I think that I would.

I thought I might at first, but there are the standard tiny dots on the top edge of the neck if you need a quick visual marker. Now that I'm used to it, I don't miss the markers actually being on the face of the fretboard at all.

Of course, if they were going to put in fancy inlays - I'd be all for it... might not work with the composite material neck though...

Anyway...

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
Originally posted by lazaraga

not at all. side markers are there if you need em. ever played classical guitar?

peace

Hehe. Classical guitars don't even have markers on the edge. You just go by knowing the 12th fret meets the body. ;)

On my electric, I've always gone by the markers on the edge of the neck anyway, so the missing markers on the fret board doesn't bother me.

• Members

The longest Fly thread on HC ever!

I've had my '99 Classic since (duh) '99. Best guitar on the planet. Had mine modified with the RMC system so I can plug directly into the Roland 13 pin stuff.

Parkers rule. And I ain't going back.

• Members
Originally posted by mbratch

Hehe. Classical guitars don't even have markers on the edge. You just go by knowing the 12th fret meets the body.
;)

On my electric, I've always gone by the markers on the edge of the neck anyway, so the missing markers on the fret board doesn't bother me.

me neither. only problem i've found is in teaching, it can be hard for a students who needs visual clues from their teacher.

peace

• Members

98 Fly Artist here. I sold all my other guitars after I bought it, except for one 92 American Deluxe Strat. I plan on getting Mojo when I can afford it. Ideally, a single cut and a regular Fly.

Welcome to the club!

• Members
Originally posted by lazaraga

me neither. only problem i've found is in teaching, it can be hard for a students who needs visual clues from their teacher.

peace

True. That would be somewhat helpful.

I try to get my students to visually know where fret #N is. Young students seem to have a little trouble counting them regardless of markers. ;)

• Members

I remember thinking the Parker sunburst Nitefly I was about to get a few years ago would truly be the be all end all, but after having it several months, it became apparent it didn't jibe with me.... It had alot going for it, looks, good sound, unique, etc, but two things bugged to the point I sold it, 1. the upper horn did gouge me in the chest when I sat and played it after a time , that was not really a biggie though, it was more just an annoyance than painful or whatever, ....far more annoying was that if you look at the clearance between the top of the neck and the tip of the upper horn, ...it ain't much!.....and I wrap my thumb around the neck alot, and sliding up high sometimes the tip of the horn would get in the way,... hated that. The thing that truly made me sell it, though was, playing licks and stuff up high was just unbelievably cramp...I don't know if it was the scale of that guitar , or what it was, but it was near impossible to play my some of my favorite lead licks up high because the this weird cramped feeling...sorta felt like it put my fret hand at an awkward angle or something, never quite figured it out :D

• Members

Originally posted by Argali

If anyone doubts that Parkers can be used for heavy music, one of the dudes from the mighty EYEHATEGOD uses one. Case closed.

Thanks for clearing that up...

Archived