Goodbye Fender Strat. Hello Parker Fly.

Café Dekcuf

• Members

I bought a used Parker P-38 (s/s/h) a few weeks ago and haven't been able to put it down since. So much so that I'm hooked Parker guitars now. Just bought Nitefly NFV1 on Ebay and have decided to sell my Fender Strat to finance the purchase of a Fly.

Parkers are amazing guitars...light weight, fast necks, they look great and have incredible tonal range especially when mixing the magnetics with the piezo. The stock P-38 single coils sound more like a Strat than my Strat does. Clean bell like tone. Parkers love pedals as well.

Has anyone else joined the Parker club and not looked back at Fender or Gibson?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i have a fly supreme and a fly mojo on the way...i love my parker but i use it more for my live solo gigs because i need acoustic and electric guitars and it does the lot and more....i dont think theyll ever catch on in a big way because they are different and people just dont like change....they are also very expensive and many think they are butt ugly i love it though and i love the curious way people look at it saying what the hell is it??...but when i practice or jam with friends its my G+L legacy or les paul deluxe i grab first....the legacy has a neck to die for and the mini hums in my deluxe sound like nothing else

• Members

1996 Deluxe here... Haven't liked the feel of a strat or Les Paul since :D Great trem as well, awesome tuning stability. I doubt I'll ever sell this one, except if I could get my hands on a Mojo someday. But, they cost 4300$ over here, and there aren't any to be found used...

• Members

Originally posted by darkest_fugue

i have a fly supreme and a fly mojo on the way...i love my parker but i use it more for my live solo gigs because i need acoustic and electric guitars and it does the lot and more....i dont think theyll ever catch on in a big way because they are different and people just dont like change....they are also very expensive and many think they are butt ugly i love it though and i love the curious way people look at it saying what the hell is it??...but when i practice or jam with friends its my G+L legacy or les paul deluxe i grab first....the legacy has a neck to die for and the mini hums in my deluxe sound like nothing else

Don't get me wrong I still appreciate other guitars.

I have a Les Paul Pro-Deluxe (P-90s) that weighs like 11 pounds which I use on a couple of tunes when I play live. But the unconventional looks of the Parker just adds to its mistique. I was blown away by the versatility of Parker guitars. I play in a bluesy-rock band and use a Fender Twin as my main amp. The P-38 just shines throught that amp.

I use the piezo through my Roland Cube 60 with the acoustic amp setting. It really does a great job of emulating an acoustic.

Every serious player should try a Parker at least once. The Fys (Parker's hignend model) are cheaper than Les Pauls and you'd be hard pressed to find an inferiour Fly when compared to an LP. I just can't find anything negative about Parkers.

• Members

Originally posted by stratsyndrome

i've always wanted to try one - but they stopped making them with single coils didn't they?

As a former fender player, does that upper horn really cut into your chest like some people say?

The current Nitefly SA models have s/s/h configs. The Fly models have a 3-way selector and coil tap so you can select multiple pickup configs at the flip of a switch. And of course the piezo is icing on the cake.

Nah, the upper horn doesn't interfere at all. It certainly doesn't cut into your chest. These guitars are light and very well balanced.

• Members

Originally posted by stratsyndrome

i've always wanted to try one - but they stopped making them with single coils didn't they?

As a former fender player, does that upper horn really cut into your chest like some people say?

It's called a Fly Deluxe Single 2 and it is available from their custom shop. I saw one on Ebay a few months back.

http://www.parkerguitars.com/code/about/about_customshop.asp

• Members

I've tried a couple different ones and they do play super duper smooth and have a great sound. Don't like the shape at all though, I play sitting down mostly and kind of like to lean over the guitar, and that upper horn does bug me. I can get used to it but I figure for that price I should be perfectly happy. If they just smoothed it out a little it would make the guitar 100% better in my mind, I even like the idea of the style, that horn is just too sharp...

• Members

Originally posted by Valtyr

I have a Nitefly, not sure which model. It has the H-S-S pickup config, but unlike more recent Parkers, the piezo system on mine is passive.

I bought it in 1998, it is still my favorite guitar.

I just bought a Nitefly on eBay. I'm still waiting for it to be delivered. It's a NFV1 so it has the passive piezo as well. How do the pickups sound without the pre-amp? Can you switch from the magnetic to the peizos?

My Nitefly comes with the Parker NiteMix pre-amp (it's actually made by Fishman). This little box is an external pre-amp that allows you to mix the magnetic and piezo pickups to a single amp or stereo out. By using Parker's stereo cable you can switch from the piezo to the magnetic pus. It's got some EQ as well. Not sure if Parker still sells the NiteMix but you can still get this unit from Fishman....it's called the PowerMix I believe.

nitemix.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by Nathan Kwok

I've tried a couple different ones and they do play super duper smooth and have a great sound. Don't like the shape at all though, I play sitting down mostly and kind of like to lean over the guitar, and that upper horn does bug me. I can get used to it but I figure for that price I should be perfectly happy. If they just smoothed it out a little it would make the guitar 100% better in my mind, I even like the idea of the style, that horn is just too sharp...

Funny, to me the top horn is no more intrusive than the top horn on my Strat. Obviously the Strat's horn is rounded. The Parker has rounded edges. I play standing up most of the time but do sit down once in a while (especially when I'm learning stuff). But I find my P-38 to very comfortable in either standing or sitting position. What I like about Parkers is the contoured body. My P-38 has an ash body. It only weighs about 6 pounds.

Check out the curves on this baby. Neck and body carved from one solid piece of wood...

parkgold.jpg

• Members

Actually, the Parker Fly is NOT made of a single piece of wood. It's actually a set neck!!! They carve away the heel, reinforce it with carbon-glass epoxy, and finish it. It's as solid as a neckthrough, but actually isn't.

And it's great for heavy music. The pickups are pretty high output, the neck is super fast. And the trem is extremely stable and great for divebombs. ;)

Archived