different tones at different gauges?

• Members

i've had my sg for a while, but, since it came setup for .10's, i never messed around with string gauges, just stuck with the .10s. today, i decided it would be nice to have better control over the bends, so i went down to .09s.

here's my question: do different gauged strings sound different? it seems like i had a lot more clarity with .10s, where you could really pick out the notes of the chords.

is this my imagination?

• Members

Originally posted by GiantBunnySuit

is this my imagination?

No.

Obviously, bigger strings means fatter tones. It's just a matter of how much tension you're willing to deal with to get it. Some people prefer to tradeoff tone for a better feel, so they go to .09's or .08's. Either way you go, there's always a compromise.

• Members

B.B. King and Jimmy Page use(d?) .008s, Hendrix used .009-.038s.

I don't think many would argue they have bad tone (Well, maybe Pagey...).

I personally didn't hear any difference in my guitars when I switched from 10s to 8s.

• Members

A thicker string does put more metal moving back and forth over the pickup, so I guess you could say that it does have an impact on the signal. That's the reason the old pickups used to have a staggered 3rd pole, as players used to use thicker strings back then and the 3rd or G string would sound unbalanced otherwise.

A thicker string will (assuming everything else is the same) will have a higher tension, which by itself would result in more sustain. But I've never had problems with a solid body guitar and too little sustain. Maybe I'm just lucky.

• Members

Originally posted by Johnny Park

I personally didn't hear any difference in my guitars when I switched from 10s to 8s.

you know youre allowed to take your ear muffs off after winter ends right?

• Members

So you're saying you find Hendrix and B.B. King's tone displeasing?

nope.

id say the sound can only get better. i wouldnt go as far as to say something sounds bad.

very hard to make a guitar sound bad. unless you own a boss ds1. then its a footstep away.

• Members

Originally posted by Megadeth7684

Using 8 gauge strings is pathetic. If you can't play on 9's then you're a {censored}. Thicker strings means thicker tone.

String gauge is a style preference, not a measure of how well someone can "play." Once plugged in, a thick tone can be gotten no matter what string guage is used. Some amps and effects have such a greater effect on thickness than moving up than string guage does. Just look at later live Hendrix tones.

• Members
Originally posted by jfreaksho

I don't have the hand strength to put .011's on my righties, though.

J.

I think that can be forgive for the fact that you can play both ways....Man, you're a freak. :D

I'm a lefty, but I learned guitar as a righty. By the time I realized something was wrong, I had gotten used to it enough to not look back....Always wanted to have a lefty around to learn on though, but just never got around to it.

• Members

Not considering the pickups, the higher tension results in lower sustain.

P.S. Been a long time reader, just never posted much. So little in fact that I have forgotten my old information.

• Members

Originally posted by Megadeth7684

Using 8 gauge strings is pathetic. If you can't play on 9's then you're a {censored}. Thicker strings means thicker tone.

I agree, except under one circumstance. 9s seem to be about the max on a full scalloped guitar. It's hard to get away with thick strings on a fully scalloped neck. However, that's the ONLY reason why I think someone should use such a thin gauge. All my guitars have 10-52 (except for my scalloped neck guitar which has 9-42). My friend plays with the ZW 11-70s in Dropped D tuning and damn are they heavy - but the tone sounds good.

• Moderators

The question is not "can you sound good with a given gauge?", but rather, as I understand it, "all other things being equal, will your guitar sound significantly different if you change string gauge?"

I say hell yes.

If you can't hear a difference when this is done- with a given guitar/amp at a given volume... I just don't know what to say. :(

• Members
Originally posted by Actionsquid

The question is not "can you sound good with a given gauge?", but rather, as I understand it, "all other things being equal, will your guitar sound significantly different if you change string gauge?"

I say hell yes.

If you can't hear a difference when this is done-
with a given guitar/amp at a given volume
... I just don't know what to say.
:(

i would be jealous of him. im always envious of people who are less picky them me. cuz that enables them to be happier quicker and or more often than me.

• Members

Yes, theres a small amount of tone diff for every couple steps in gauge. But myself prefers to use 9's & go with the brand whose tone I like best & guitars that get very good to excellent tonal balance with 9's. Not going to sacrifice playabilty for tone, nor tone for playablity.

• Members

Originally posted by mbratch

Why is that? I would have thought just the opposite (not sure I can explain why).

im guessing that the extra mass vibrating, would want to make itself stop vibrating quicker than something lighter.

but then i think to myself, like a piston, less mass would stop moving faster.

but they clearly are different systems so theyre not really comparable.

when i play, i dont really ontice any difference in sustain. i went through a phase where i played 11's on my strat. i dont think i can say i noticed differences in sustain.

• Members

Originally posted by Dixie

Not considering the pickups, the higher tension results in lower sustain.

P.S. Been a long time reader, just never posted much. So little in fact that I have forgotten my old information.

Other way around. Not that it really matters much.

• Members

There's an easy way to get through all the bunk on this one...........get a bunch of plain strings, say 8's though 14's or whatever, put them all on your guitar at the same time, and tune them all to the same pitch, say a high E. Play each string with as little input from you as possible (no bends, vibrato, etc), and see if there's much tonal difference between them. Not output, but tone. There's your answer.

FWIW, I did that pretty carefully, and that "bigger strings=fatter tone" theory kinda went out the window. At least for me. I'm sure someone here will argue that point, but that's about as scientific a test as I could come up with.

Try it, it's quick and it'll only cost you a few bucks.

• Members

There is definitely a difference but it's not like amazing if you only make the jump one size higher.

Started off with 10s, played those for like years and then tried 9s and the difference is quite obvious to me, it does sound thinner. Most probably won't even notice it. Oh, they buzz more too.

But my biggest gripe is the playability. Bending on 9s is like bending on barb wires, it really cuts into your skin.

I really wonder how some people could play with 8s?

And recently, tried Skinny Tops, Heavy Bottoms 10-52. Now that's one big difference. Much thicker tone on the bass strings.

• Members

Originally posted by Europa760

im guessing that the extra mass vibrating, would want to make itself stop vibrating quicker than something lighter.

but then i think to myself, like a piston, less mass would stop moving faster.

but they clearly are different systems so theyre not really comparable.

when i play, i dont really ontice any difference in sustain. i went through a phase where i played 11's on my strat. i dont think i can say i noticed differences in sustain.

The vibration of the extra mass (thicker string) though is being vibrated using a greater initial force (the pluck). So once set into motion, the extra mass (and inertia) works for you rather than against you in terms of sustain.

Archived