A Forum's lexicon for us who learn english...

Jkater

• Members
Originally posted by bzja

Gutar Aquisition Syndrome........the NEED to buy guitars or equipment relating to guitars

It's Gear Addiction Syndrome...and it's not specific to just this forum :p

One that's worth clearing up is "{censored}". Squier Strats are often called pieces of {censored}, or {censored}ty, or the {censored}tiest guitars. Fender MIA Strats are often called the {censored}. Totally opposite. With "{censored}" you have to just concentrate on context. Anything that's "{censored}ty" or a piece thereof is bad, anything that is "the {censored}" is good.

• Members
Originally posted by Fear My Potato

It's Gear Addiction Syndrome...and it's not specific to just this forum
:p

One that's worth clearing up is "{censored}". Squier Strats are often called pieces of {censored}, or {censored}ty, or the {censored}tiest guitars. Fender MIA Strats are often called the {censored}. Totally opposite. With "{censored}" you have to just concentrate on context. Anything that's "{censored}ty" or a piece thereof is bad, anything that is "
the
{censored}" is good.

Actually GAS can have a lot of meanings..Gear Acquisition Syndrome, Guitar Addiction Syndrome. The bottom line is that it means you have a desire to buy new gear. :)

Also "bollocks" means bull{censored}, crap, {censored}ty etc. but "dog's bollocks" means good. Same as "bee's knees."Crazy Brits, I don't know what's so good about a dog's bollocks or bee's knees! :D

• Members
Originally posted by LaXu

Also "bollocks" means bull{censored}, crap, {censored}ty etc. but "dog's bollocks" means good. Same as "bee's knees."Crazy Brits, I don't know what's so good about a dog's bollocks or bee's knees!
:D

The original meaning of "bollocks" was testicles. A dog with bollocks "has the goods" so to speak.

IN the 1700's, "bollocks" was applied to (of all things) priests. I wonder why...:rolleyes:

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node=bollocks

• Members
Originally posted by Fear My Potato

Anything that's "{censored}ty" or a piece thereof is bad, anything that is "
the
{censored}" is good.

Robben Ford said in an interview that Miles Davis played the {censored} out of the trumpet. He must have been good... :)

• Members
Originally posted by Jkater

Robben Ford said in an interview that Miles Davis played the {censored} out of the trumpet. He must have been good...
:)

Yep, that would be 'good' {censored}. Played well, over the top.

What about brits that "can't be arsed" to do something. I know that arse=ass, and I assume that in this context means 'bothered'.:confused:

• Members
Originally posted by rhythmonly2

If you're from Europe, do not refer to potentiometers as "pottis".

Never heard that before. In Finnish the name "potentiometri" is shortened to "potikka." :)

• Members

Originally posted by LaXu

I find the
very useful when I stumble upon terms or words that I'm not familiar with. Yes, the "I dig it" thing is in there too.

Thanks LaXu,

I tried this site and I tried "dig" for fun and, Yes, one definition fits the meaning that is given to it on this forum. I've put that link on my desktop, can come handy sometimes.

• Members

Thanks for the offer!

To use your help on the forum will benefit more people, I think.

I also hope that other non-english speakers will use this chance as well because I can't think of all the expressions that have puzzled me at one time or another.

P.S: It's not my english that's so bad (Well... it's good enough to get by anyway). It's my knowledge of the terms sometimes used on this forum. Also, I'm not a professional, gigging musician ( I gig occasionnally) and I 'd like to know a little more about the active musician's jargon. I thought of this thread, not only for myself, but for others too. Of course, it's not impossible that I'm the only one who needed it!
;)

Your English is great....However "Mein Deutsche ist nicht gut" I took 2 years of German in school 30+ years ago and still remember a bit....Enough to get by when I watch a WWII movie. I would love to speak German much better than I do.

• Members

Originally posted by IdaCrue

Your English is great....However "Mein Deutsche ist nicht gut" I took 2 years of German in school 30+ years ago and still remember a bit....Enough to get by when I watch a WWII movie. I would love to speak German much better than I do.

For someone whose "Deutsch ist nicht gut", you spoke a nice sentence just right there.

One term (in english) that was strange at first is "shredder" but I figured out what it meant and guitarNed's lexicon on the first page confirmed it.

• Members

One term (in english) that was strange at first is "shredder" but I figured out what it meant and guitarNed's lexicon on the first page confirmed it.

In English, you can substitute the word "dork" for "shredder" in most circumstances.

For instance, "Steve Vai is a shredder," and "Steve Vai is a dork," are both true statements, and mean essentially the same thing.:D

• Members
Originally posted by ExtraGum

In English, you can substitute the word "dork" for "shredder" in most circumstances.

For instance, "Steve Vai is a shredder," and "Steve Vai is a dork," are both true statements, and mean essentially the same thing.
:D

funny:D

Archived