Your opinion on a move to Southern California for a band

SpeedKing

• Members

Just a fun discussion question for you guys. Say you're in a rock band in the midwest, and you want to take your band a little more seriously and take it up a notch. The most popular place in the world seems to be located in Southern California, specifically in the LA area.

Do you think it would be worth the move (the entire band) and why? Experienced members, please chip in!

It just can't be a coincidence that so many *known* rock bands hail from this area..and most aren't native to it. What are your thoughts?

Recent bands that hail from Southern California, but aren't necessarily from here (and not all are recent, but they've had recent hits):

Metallica

Green Day

Weezer

Linkin Park

No Doubt

Korn

Maroon 5

Incubus

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Guns N

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Every band I know who has moved to LA to try and forge ahead in the music scene over the years (many of them good friends) has split up after a few months and returned home. We're talking about very good bands too, that had been together for years. It's dog-eat-dog out there.

• Members

Originally posted by pedalpat

bring lots of money - it ain't cheap living in southern california.

Yep.

And better hope you bring lots of good luck, in addition to all the other bands who also had the same idea as you, you've got all the local bands too. Lately the whole band scene has seemed pretty dead around here...lots of bands, no crowds.

• Members

Dont do it. Do you know how many bands there are in the LA area that arent progressing towards {censored}? Not to mention LA is the most plastic place in the United States as far as people go. Yeah, and plan on making a {censored}load of money.

• Members

Originally posted by ExtraGum

Most of the bands you mentioned suck.

I'd rather move to Austin or Nashville.

The scene here is terrible compared to what it was 2-3 years ago. Nashville is a run down, hopeless place to be now.

• Members

I don't think it's really necessary to pack up and move to LA or New York. It seems to me if you make enough noise in the big metropolitan area in your home state and get noticed by the local media, you'll eventually show up on the radar of the bigwigs in New York and LA.

• Members
Originally posted by SpeedKing

Just a fun discussion question for you guys. Say you're in a rock band in the midwest, and you want to take your band a little more seriously and take it up a notch. The most popular place in the world seems to be located in Southern California, specifically in the LA area.

Are you currently in an active band or just asking this as a general question?

Reason that I ask is because I checked your profile, and noticed there wasn't any link to your bands WebSite.

Not all bands come from California, and by just moving from one location to another is no guarantee that you will get more exposure or advance your career any quicker.

You should do a lot of promotion, and try to "get the word out" when it comes to your band. One of the easiest ways is to set up a good website, not something just thrown together. Get as much exposure as possible, get as many demo's sent out as possible, and maybe good things will happen. :cool:

• Members

If the band is successful in the Mid West, I wouldn't move. It's better to be a big fish in the small pond rather than a little fish in the big pond. Also, if the band is that good, they will find you.

• Members

It's a theoretical question for aspiring musicians out there. I already live here, and I'm signed with Universal..I just ask because I want to know your thoughts on the "head west" move that so many bands attempt to achieve success.

I just bring it up for discussion's sake.

• Members

Its a terrible idea.

If you want to get discovered why go to the most congested place possible where you will more competition than you could believe!

Stay in the middle of nowhere, develope a cult following, then start dancing arround the country.

Not to mention LA sucks (this is a scientific fact)

• Members

Originally posted by No Soul

Its a terrible idea.

If you want to get discovered why go to the most congested place possible where you will more competition than you could believe!

Stay in the middle of nowhere, develope a cult following, then start dancing arround the country.

Not to mention LA sucks (this is a scientific fact)

Good advice... the days of moving to a big city to be a star are just about over. The internet has changed everything so TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT

YOu don't need to get signed.... YOu can record yourself in your garage, promote on the net, and then set up your own tours... Touring will get you to meet other bands just like you would do in a big city....If you're any good you can distribute your own material and will eventually get picked up by a major label

Plus you guys in the Midwest don't really know what's happening on the west coast. Spanish is now the Freakin official language. The southwest US is starting to look like a foreign country because of all the damn illegal aliens. I said ILLEGAL aliens, not immigrants.. there is a difference

one more thing... LA is an absolute Sh*thole unless you're a millionaire

• Members

I do understand the concept of it being better to be a big fish in a little pond, however, how many bands do you know of, that are commercially succesful (such as the ones I listed) that's home base was from a rural area in the midwest, or really even big cities (Chicago, etc.)

Not quite as many as California and NY, right? This surely isn't coincidence is what I'm trying to discuss. I guess I can't really think of many bands that came from somewhere like Chicago (Chevelle and Disturbed come to mind), but surely many people could list a laundry list that came from California and such.

• Members
Originally posted by catalinagoose

How many in your band? If you have more than three members, there isn't anymore room here. We have the equivalent of about three loaded 747s full of illegal immigrants unloading here everyday and it's getting pretty crowded. Also, I hope you guys are rich.

I'm here.
I got mine.
SHUT THE DAMN GATES!!!
:p

• Members

Sure lots of bands made it in SoCal.
So what?

There is a huge population base out here, and the local talent that claws its way to the top is significant in number but perhaps NOT in proportion to the total population.

I'd think that smaller towns (especially university towns)experiencing a housing or employment boom might be a better bet...more disposable income per capita and less competition among top notch acts. Study the music histories of Akron, Ohio or Athens, Georgia to see what can happen with the right chemistry.

For aspiring musicians, LA is like the song says, "Nashville with a tan..."

• Members

I would imagine the only good reason to move there is because that's where all the decision makers in the entertainment industry work. Well...there and NYC.

If you're serious about commercial success, then why not give it a try? At the very least the weather's nice down there.

• Members
Originally posted by rocknrao

I would imagine the only good reason to move there is because that's where all the decision makers in the entertainment industry work. Well...there and NYC.

If you're serious about commercial success, then why not give it a try? At the very least the weather's nice down there.

Oh...right :rolleyes: .
Steer them away from the Bay Area ;) .

Archived