Songs with hollow body guitars

Luke66

• Members

So i'm pretty interested in hollow bodies. I've played some artcores at the shop we have here, but they had crap strings and the foam under the bridge and all. Plus i didnt get a chance to plug it in.

What songs should i listen to to greater appriciate the sound of a full hollow body guitar?

• Members

Originally posted by Luke66

So i'm pretty interested in hollow bodies. I've played some artcores at the shop we have here, but they had crap strings and the foam under the bridge and all. Plus i didnt get a chance to plug it in.

What songs should i listen to to greater appriciate the sound of a full hollow body guitar?

Check out these artists, all famous for using full-hollow guitars.

The entire Beatles catalog

Joe Pass

Wes Montgomery

Brian Setzer

Chet Atkins

Alvin Lee

Jorma Kaukonen

George Benson

• Members

Originally posted by jerry_picker

luke66 means FULL hollow, right?

yes, full hollow.

as for genre of music, just darker stuff. maybe a little bit of overdrive. songs with picking more than strumming are nice. I guess i'm thinking of music along the lines of stairway to heaven, just on hollow body.

• Moderators

Originally posted by F-holes

Everything ever recorded by Chuck Berry.

Early Elvis'(Sun Records years w/Scotty Moore, guitarist).

:)

Yeah, Scotty's ES295...but Chuck used an ES345, which is a semi

BB King's Lucille is a semi, also...and Scofield has recorded with SGs as well as L5s and others...

Check out Duke Robillard, although he can play anything from a Strat to an SG to a 335 to a 175 or an L5

Some of the live material from Hell Freezes Over was done using Gretsch hollowbodies (both Joe and Don Felder played them)

The late great Hollywood Fats (Michael Mann) played hollowbodies and semis...

And of course, Brian Setzer, the Gretsch maven...

• Members

yes, full hollow.

as for genre of music, just darker stuff. maybe a little bit of overdrive. songs with picking more than strumming are nice. I guess i'm thinking of music along the lines of stairway to heaven, just on hollow body.

OK, I messed up and gave Scofield when his is actually semi-hollow. But Trey's ARE full hollow. While I wouldn't consider it "dark" really, he often times does use a significant amount of distortion, so you could get a sense for how it would sound. I'd suggest listening to some of the live stuff such as A Live One or Hampton Comes Alive.

• Members

Originally posted by daddymack

Yeah, Scotty's ES295...

Scotty Moore also played a Super-400, which can be seen in the Elvis '68 Comeback video (good viewing for any fans of 50's rockabilly-blues). Elvis commandeered that axe from Scotty, launching millions of "Wow, Elvis can actually play the guitar!" 's, during that show.

• Members

funny, I was playing one a couple of those today at Guitar Center. I liked it, and would buy one with a few modifications thrown in.

I checked these Ibanez Artcore hollowbodies out on the review board here (which is great, BTW) and the word is that they are very well made guitars, despite where they are made, China.

and since they are inexpensive and made in China, the electronics will go out sooner than later and the strings and tuners are subpar. the ones I played had Grover-style tuners. and they felt ok in a few minutes of playing and tuning in the store.

the bodies and finish on these is amazing. they look as good as the $1500 Gibsons and Gretchs there. but we all know the quality in some parts is poor.

I am considering one of these, or an Epiphone ES335, which also is very well made, better neck than some US Gibsons I've played.

if I got this Artcore hollow or semi hollow (there was one there) I'd immediately cut all the strings off and take it to a luthier to get the floating bridge glued on (which is loose and falls right off when you remove the strings - terrible for intonation) and put Schaller tuners on it. then maybe a Gibson burstbucker in the bridge pickup, and that would be an awesome guitar.

• Members

Originally posted by TheBlueGuy

'Crossroads' by Cream comes to mind.

For something more modern, the band
The Living End
recorded with a hollowbody of some kind.

Gretsch Ainniversary early on - I think his arsenal has expanded quite a bit now, I've seen pics with several other new Gretsches.

• Members

Originally posted by skorb

funny, I was playing one a couple of those today at Guitar Center. I liked it, and would buy one with a few modifications thrown in.

I checked these Ibanez Artcore hollowbodies out on the review board here (which is great, BTW) and the word is that they are very well made guitars, despite where they are made, China.

and since they are inexpensive and made in China, the electronics will go out sooner than later and the strings and tuners are subpar. the ones I played had Grover-style tuners. and they felt ok in a few minutes of playing and tuning in the store.

the bodies and finish on these is amazing. they look as good as the $1500 Gibsons and Gretchs there. but we all know the quality in some parts is poor.

I am considering one of these, or an Epiphone ES335, which also is very well made, better neck than some US Gibsons I've played.

if I got this Artcore hollow or semi hollow (there was one there) I'd immediately cut all the strings off and take it to a luthier to get the floating bridge glued on (which is loose and falls right off when you remove the strings - terrible for intonation) and put Schaller tuners on it. then maybe a Gibson burstbucker in the bridge pickup, and that would be an awesome guitar.

weatherboy is selling a nice violin burst Ibanez AS-83. The price is great too. send him a PM about it if you're interested.

I'll add a vote for the Epiphone Sheraton II. Mine sounds as nice as a Gibby 335.

• Members

Originally posted by daddymack

Yeah, Scotty's ES295...but Chuck used an ES345, which is a semi

Notice that I said recorded .;)

Chuck is probably the most notable user of the ES-345, which he used during many of his live performances.

But, all of the [earlier] recordings(possibly except for My Ding-A-Ling) were done on his ES-350.

This has been called 'The guitar that shook the world' by Guitar Player magazine.:)

cschuck.jpg

:cool:

• Members

Asking for a song with a "Hollow Body Guitar" is kind of pointless. Each guitar sounds different the fact that one is hollow or semi-hollow doesn't make it sound a certain way.

A Gretsch 6120 doesn't sound anything like an ES-175 and the 175 doesn't sound like an Artist Award.

Many people seem to be confused about guitars, pickups and the like. For example, people seem to think that if a pickup has a P-90 cover on it, it sounds like a P-90 (although the difference in Gibson P-90's from the early 50's to the late 50's and into the 60's is as different as night and day) and people like to think that hollow bodies sound a certain way.

There may be a Gibson sound, Gretsch sound, etc... but MANY factors come into play.

Now, can someone tell me some songs people played slidbody guitars on? I like that sound

Archived